Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 20th 2012, 01:32 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,001
Default "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

FF have made hundreds of appearances on TV shows over the years and most of them still exist online today in some form, DVDs and Youtube etc. There are a handful that don't however, they've gone missing and don't circulate at all to my knowledge.

So I thought I would put out a plea because someone must have these on a tape somewhere. Here is the list:

October 8th, 1999 - ABC Studios, Melbourne (Australia)

Learn To Fly
Interview
Breakout

November 29th, 1999 - Total Request Live (US)
Learn To Fly
Larger Than Life (cover/goofing)
Stacked Actors

January 9th, 2002 - Total Request Live (US)
Interview
Outside (jam)
Crazy Little Thing Called Love (jam)

March 4th 2002 - Late Word With Zach Galifianakis (US - VH1)
The One
Learn To Fly
(All My Life also played but I believe not broadcast)

August 30th 2002 - ULU Student Union (UK)
Disenchanted Lullaby from the soundcheck was broadcast on Kerrang! TV.

November 29th 2002 - The Marquee, London (UK)
Times Like These, supposedly broadcast on Channel 5. Not sure which program.

April 4th 2003 - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (US)
Times Like These
Low
Everlong
Stacked Actors
All My Life
(I believe only TLT and Low were broadcast)

April 9th 2003 - Tonight Show with Jay Leno (US)
Times Like These

August 19th, 2003 - Total Request Live (UK)

Times Like These (acoustic)

December 10th 2003 - Billboard Music Awards (US)
All My Life

Ideally we want to find them in good quality, so on a VHS or DVD. If you have them let me know and if they're on VHS I can sort out getting them transferred to digital for everyone.

There also a lot of TV spots we only have in poor quality but there are too many to list here, just let me know if you have anything that you taped off TV and i'll let you know if it might be needed.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.

Last edited by Simon : November 20th 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 20th 2012, 03:02 PM
trevgreg's Avatar
trevgreg trevgreg is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,144
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

I have none of those, except maybe one or two in audio only (which obviously isn't of much help). I'm still trying to figure out this one live performance of Breakout that I caught on MTV around 2000, where Dave and the guys were behind this fence-like structure and he was sort of 'talking' the second verse in the song. I haven't seen it since!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 20th 2012, 04:50 PM
Beto's Avatar
Beto Beto is offline
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Posts: 15,259
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

I have a 30 minute program from MTV Latin America called 'Hora Prima', an interview during the TNLTL era.

I thiiiink it's not on the web. I've been meaning to get it transferred for a decade or so but haven't.
If interested, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
November 29th, 1999 - Total Request Live (US)
Learn To Fly
Larger Than Life (cover/goofing)
Times Like These
TLT?? Your mistake or early version or what?
__________________

Last edited by Beto : November 20th 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 20th 2012, 05:31 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,001
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
I have none of those, except maybe one or two in audio only (which obviously isn't of much help). I'm still trying to figure out this one live performance of Breakout that I caught on MTV around 2000, where Dave and the guys were behind this fence-like structure and he was sort of 'talking' the second verse in the song. I haven't seen it since!
Hmm, not entirely sure on that one. Did it seem like a TV show performance or just a broadcast from a live show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
I have a 30 minute program from MTV Latin America called 'Hora Prima', an interview during the TNLTL era.
Could you maybe take a photo of it on your TV screen so I can try and ID it?


Quote:
TLT?? Your mistake or early version or what?
My mistake, meant to write Stacked Actors.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 20th 2012, 06:07 PM
trevgreg's Avatar
trevgreg trevgreg is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,144
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Hmm, not entirely sure on that one. Did it seem like a TV show performance or just a broadcast from a live show?
I'm pretty sure it was a broadcast from a live show. Like I said, I haven't seen it since, but it's always stuck out to me for those two reasons... the fence between the band and the crowd and Dave not 'singing' the second verse! I'm guessing it was MTV or MTV2 sometime between the fall of 1999 and the fall of 2000. Not sure what show or concert though.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 20th 2012, 06:08 PM
pjonze's Avatar
pjonze pjonze is offline
FooArchive
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,041
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

I know I've a bunch on tape because I traded TV appearances but about 10 years ago I lost interest & now I don't even own a VHS so they're all boxed in my loft.
The US TRLs I definitely had & I know I've the UK TRL because I was there for the recording (there is a crappy version on YouTube).

As for trevgreg's Breakout - T4 showed a Breakout performance inbetween Dawsons Creek one Sunday morning that apparently was the band outside on a dock or pier... I never had any luck finding it.
__________________
webmaster - www.FooArchive.com

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 20th 2012, 08:42 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,001
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
I'm pretty sure it was a broadcast from a live show. Like I said, I haven't seen it since, but it's always stuck out to me for those two reasons... the fence between the band and the crowd and Dave not 'singing' the second verse! I'm guessing it was MTV or MTV2 sometime between the fall of 1999 and the fall of 2000. Not sure what show or concert though.
Sound bizarre, not ringing any bells. How substancial are we talking with the fence, like huge 15 odd feet barrier? Sounds really odd.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
I know I've a bunch on tape because I traded TV appearances but about 10 years ago I lost interest & now I don't even own a VHS so they're all boxed in my loft.
The US TRLs I definitely had & I know I've the UK TRL because I was there for the recording (there is a crappy version on YouTube).
Sounds good. If I could find someone to transfer them would you be interested in sending them out? I used to have a VHS transfer setup but an old tape wiped out my VCR and I've never got a replacement. I'm sure I could find someone in the UK though.

Quote:
As for trevgreg's Breakout - T4 showed a Breakout performance inbetween Dawsons Creek one Sunday morning that apparently was the band outside on a dock or pier... I never had any luck finding it.
That sounds just as strange. Any idea where that one was, country wise?
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 20th 2012, 09:17 PM
pjonze's Avatar
pjonze pjonze is offline
FooArchive
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,041
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Sounds good. If I could find someone to transfer them would you be interested in sending them out? I used to have a VHS transfer setup but an old tape wiped out my VCR and I've never got a replacement. I'm sure I could find someone in the UK though.
Give me a few weeks & I'll be up in the loft for Christmas stuff & I'll be able to see how well I labelled all the tapes. I'm also pretty sure that I've another track or two from this session:
http://www.foofighterslive.com/liveg...1997-05-13.php
I'm thinking either My Hero or Everlong because I remember it being aired by late night MTV on either Alternative Nation or Headbangers Ball prior to getting the official promo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That sounds just as strange. Any idea where that one was, country wise?
It was a Sunday during the '00 European Festivals run so having never seen it I dunno but I can't imagine T4 going too far out of their way - somebody emailed me but there was no catch-up TV back then and the best I got was a description from a Channel 4 bulletin board saying it was outside on a dock or pier & there was either an FF or T4 logo on the floor.
__________________
webmaster - www.FooArchive.com

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 20th 2012, 09:55 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,001
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
Give me a few weeks & I'll be up in the loft for Christmas stuff & I'll be able to see how well I labelled all the tapes. I'm also pretty sure that I've another track or two from this session:
http://www.foofighterslive.com/liveg...1997-05-13.php
I'm thinking either My Hero or Everlong because I remember it being aired by late night MTV on either Alternative Nation or Headbangers Ball prior to getting the official promo.
Alright, cool. You might have some other stuff in better quality as well so lemme know. We definitely think they played more songs at that session, probably around six or seven but those are the only two video has surfaced of. For years audio of Up In Arms was wrongly credited to being from a Japanese show, then the video surfaced.



Quote:
It was a Sunday during the '00 European Festivals run so having never seen it I dunno but I can't imagine T4 going too far out of their way - somebody emailed me but there was no catch-up TV back then and the best I got was a description from a Channel 4 bulletin board saying it was outside on a dock or pier & there was either an FF or T4 logo on the floor.
Hmm, really odd. I've never heard of anything that before, it certainly doesn't match anything currently in the guide.

Speaking of T4 that reminds me of something else. I'm sure you remember back in 05 they did a video for TOTP at the Astoria, DOA during soundcheck. When it was shown on TOTP there were TOTP logos all over the stage and they cut part of the song out. A while back I found on a video site, probably youtube, a video of that same performance from a T4 broadcast but it was the complete song and they had completely edited the camera angles so as not to show the TOTP logos. That's another thing we could do with finding but with random T4/E4 showings it seems less likely someone captured it.

The other problem is that a lot of FF VHS/tape traders promptly disappeared in the last decade. The tapes are out there, it's just finding them.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 21st 2012, 09:57 PM
Beto's Avatar
Beto Beto is offline
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Posts: 15,259
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Could you maybe take a photo of it on your TV screen so I can try and ID it?
I'll try, I'm not even sure we still have a VHS player.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 21st 2012, 11:49 PM
matineeidyll's Avatar
matineeidyll matineeidyll is offline
Ready on your mark
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 1,363
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

There's a clip of the Larger Than Life cover on YouTube but it's pretty crappy quality - both audio and video are best described as "blah".
__________________
"I've always been a slob. But you can be a slob with style." - Pat Smear

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 22nd 2012, 01:14 AM
trevgreg's Avatar
trevgreg trevgreg is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,144
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Sound bizarre, not ringing any bells. How substancial are we talking with the fence, like huge 15 odd feet barrier? Sounds really odd.
I know it does! I remember it quite vividly though for some reason, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a dream. From what I remember, it seemed like it was indoor, and it was a tall barrier between the band and the crowd like a welded wire mesh fence or something. It was just so odd to me with the barrier and how Dave was singing Breakout differently (this might've been around the time I was becoming a fan).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
As for trevgreg's Breakout - T4 showed a Breakout performance inbetween Dawsons Creek one Sunday morning that apparently was the band outside on a dock or pier... I never had any luck finding it.
This doesn't sound familiar, but it was so long ago that for all I know, maybe this had something to do with it! Not sure off that description though...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old December 12th 2012, 05:20 AM
fighterboy fighterboy is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mexico city
Posts: 2,329
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
Give me a few weeks & I'll be up in the loft for Christmas stuff & I'll be able to see how well I labelled all the tapes. I'm also pretty sure that I've another track or two from this session:
http://www.foofighterslive.com/liveg...1997-05-13.php
I'm thinking either My Hero or Everlong because I remember it being aired by late night MTV on either Alternative Nation or Headbangers Ball prior to getting the official promo.



It was a Sunday during the '00 European Festivals run so having never seen it I dunno but I can't imagine T4 going too far out of their way - somebody emailed me but there was no catch-up TV back then and the best I got was a description from a Channel 4 bulletin board saying it was outside on a dock or pier & there was either an FF or T4 logo on the floor.
C'mon Paul share with us all your precious stuff, I also have an interview/bus tour broadcast for MTV LAM that I have never seen on youtube, it was during TINLTL era after Generator video was premiered, the quality is very shitty actually I will take a picture and send it to you Simon if you are still interested.
__________________
I just kinda died for you
You just kind stared at me
We will always have the chance"


"If you think about it with an open mind, music can be nameless, it can be faceless - it can just be music"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 10th 2013, 07:40 AM
Beto's Avatar
Beto Beto is offline
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Posts: 15,259
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

okay so after all these years a friend of mine lent me his vhs>dvd recorder and came all excited home only to find out I have absolutely not one single rca-rca cable damnit!!!

I'll grab one tomorrow and try to to the whole thing.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 10th 2013, 08:15 AM
Dave T.'s Avatar
Dave T. Dave T. is offline
my tits are also out for Simon
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hamilton, ON, Canada
Posts: 8,409
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

The One

If you're still looking for these. The quality isn't the greatest.
__________________
I was a young boy that had big plans. Now I'm just another shitty old man. I don't have fun and I hate everything the world owes me so fuck you.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 16th 2013, 08:51 AM
Beto's Avatar
Beto Beto is offline
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Posts: 15,259
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

OKAY, so I did it, but it was the first time I ripped vhs>dvd so the audio is a bit low, and being a 15 year old tape, the tracking sometimes is off.
Also, very dark on snl.

I got this:
1)MTV Latinamerica: Hora Prima (around 12 minutes; whole show is 30 minutes but it had some Foo and Nirvana videos in between)
Interview with a brand new Chris, Dave and Taylor (Chris is just there, never speaks I think). Nothing new, basic interview on TNLTL.

2)SNL '99 (I thought these should be up in the internet but couldn't find them on Youtube These are dark as fuck)
-L2F
-Stacked Actors

3)MTV Sports and Music Festival (it's on youtube though) gotta check if the quality is superior to see if it's an upload worthy video
-Breakout

4)TRL
-Learn To Fly
-Stacked Actors

5)MTV Fanatic

I'll rip the DVD tomorrow, and up them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 16th 2013, 09:13 AM
O.B.gene's Avatar
O.B.gene O.B.gene is offline
How Do You Do
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southend, Essex
Posts: 25,479
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

I can't remember or not if I taped it when Dave was on Big Breakfast (old skool lol)

will check one day
__________________
"Just because you have the ability to post, doesn't mean you always should." Jill (2015)

Admin @FooFightersUK
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 17th 2013, 04:35 AM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,001
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
OKAY, so I did it, but it was the first time I ripped vhs>dvd so the audio is a bit low, and being a 15 year old tape, the tracking sometimes is off.
Also, very dark on snl.

I got this:
1)MTV Latinamerica: Hora Prima (around 12 minutes; whole show is 30 minutes but it had some Foo and Nirvana videos in between)
Interview with a brand new Chris, Dave and Taylor (Chris is just there, never speaks I think). Nothing new, basic interview on TNLTL.
Ok thanks, not sure we have this or not based on description.

Quote:
2)SNL '99 (I thought these should be up in the internet but couldn't find them on Youtube These are dark as fuck)
-L2F
-Stacked Actors
They're probably not on Youtube for copyright reasons but we have them on DVD, sure.

Quote:
3)MTV Sports and Music Festival (it's on youtube though) gotta check if the quality is superior to see if it's an upload worthy video
-Breakout
We have this one on DVD as well, I'll get you a screenshot when I have time.

Quote:
4)TRL
-Learn To Fly
-Stacked Actors
Definitely need this one, as per OP.

Quote:
5)MTV Fanatic

I'll rip the DVD tomorrow, and up them.
I do have that one on DVD... somewhere. Not sure on quality. Thanks for ripping these, look forward to seeing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
I can't remember or not if I taped it when Dave was on Big Breakfast (old skool lol)

will check one day
Certainly not seen that one before, hope you can dig it up.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 17th 2013, 06:48 AM
Beto's Avatar
Beto Beto is offline
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Posts: 15,259
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Allriiiiight, so here they are.
I upped them to my youtube account, which had like ZERO activity haha.

TRL Intro
TRL Learn to Fly
TRL Stacked Actors (Cuts off because the show ended, because MTV was/is all about the good music )

Sound's really low If I rip the vhs again, with a lot of volume on tv while recording onto the DVD, it should change right? Or does that go straight from the audio cables?

Uploading Hora Prima, which I'm sure has neverever seen the light of the internets!
__________________

Last edited by Beto : October 17th 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old October 17th 2013, 08:41 AM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,001
Default Re: "Missing" videos from TV broadcasts - anyone have them?

Looks good, can you upload the original DVD files somewhere for me? Mega.co.nz have 50GB space and no size limits.

As for the low volume that's what it'll be on the tape, turning up the volume on your TV or VCR won't affect it AFAIK.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.