Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Foo Side Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 19th 2013, 12:39 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default In Utero Anniversary Edition

For those that don't know, they are about to release a new edition of Nirvana's In Utero album, so I guess this is a thread to discuss that.

In particular, I am interested to know exactly what the "2013 album mix" is. This is probably the only thing that will interest me, since most of those demos have been available for years. Does anybody have any ideas? Is it very different to the original? presumably there are no extra takes included? Anybody know who was involved?

TBH, I don't have high hopes for the sound quality of the actual album. Looking at a database such as
dr.loudness-war.info, it's clear that, for example, the sound quality on Bleach [20th Anniversary Edition] is considerably worse than all other editions of Bleach. Exactly the same thing for Nevermind [20th Anniversary - 2CD Deluxe] being generally too compressed and crappy. I have the MFSL version of Nevermind - I'm very happy with it, and will accept no less for In Utero.

I've been trying for many years to get the In Utero [MFSL Gold CD], without success, but I'm also curious about Krist talking about a 5-channel surround sound edition of the album. In light of this news announcement, it looks like this may now have been cancelled... Bit of a shame really.

Looks like I will just be buying the standalone Live and Loud DVD, unless anybody has any further info.
Old September 19th 2013, 09:32 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Default Re: In Utero Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1chard View Post
In particular, I am interested to know exactly what the "2013 album mix" is.
Compressed to shit?
Old September 20th 2013, 11:42 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFooFan View Post
Compressed to shit?
It's actually not, amazingly. Yes, a 2013 major label rock album that isn't loud war mastered. Amazing the influence Albini can have on the final product, every Nirvana release since 2002 has been brickwalled.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old September 21st 2013, 04:07 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
For those that don't know, they are about to release a new edition of Nirvana's In Utero album, so I guess this is a thread to discuss that.

In particular, I am interested to know exactly what the "2013 album mix" is. This is probably the only thing that will interest me, since most of those demos have been available for years. Does anybody have any ideas? Is it very different to the original? presumably there are no extra takes included? Anybody know who was involved?

TBH, I don't have high hopes for the sound quality of the actual album. Looking at a database such as
dr.loudness-war.info, it's clear that, for example, the sound quality on Bleach [20th Anniversary Edition] is considerably worse than all other editions of Bleach. Exactly the same thing for Nevermind [20th Anniversary - 2CD Deluxe] being generally too compressed and crappy. I have the MFSL version of Nevermind - I'm very happy with it, and will accept no less for In Utero.

I've been trying for many years to get the In Utero [MFSL Gold CD], without success, but I'm also curious about Krist talking about a 5-channel surround sound edition of the album. In light of this news announcement, it looks like this may now have been cancelled... Bit of a shame really.

Looks like I will just be buying the standalone Live and Loud DVD, unless anybody has any further info.
I've seen the In Utero Gold Edition on sale at more than one Best Buy (in stock, fyi).

Old September 25th 2013, 11:55 AM
Have you found your way around

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...sc=tw&cc=share

Check out the interview with Dave & Krist - 'Marigold original' appears on the reissue, which looks like it will be the Pocketwatch version remastered! Barret Jones has done it so there's a good chance!

Also there is the 'Forgotten song' - which can be heard at the end of the interview!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old September 25th 2013, 12:08 PM
How Do You Do

"people should listen to In Utero without thinking of Kurt Dying"

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old September 26th 2013, 12:11 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's actually not, amazingly. Yes, a 2013 major label rock album that isn't loud war mastered. Amazing the influence Albini can have on the final product, every Nirvana release since 2002 has been brickwalled.
I have faith in Albini to produce the thing properly. What I don't have any faith in is what happens afterwards once Albini has left the building. Unfortunately, I lost all faith in Universal when they admitted to letting a teenage intern press a few buttons during the final stages of the Back To The Future remaster. The whole trilogy of movies got screwed up to the stage they were unwatchable, and yet Universal allowed the discs to be released even after they had been told about the mistake. Since Universal now own Geffen, I'm just reluctant to believe anything they say. IU is my favorite Nirvana album, and I simply will not tolerate it being ruined, so I want to be careful to avoid this.

And since I own nearly all the demos, and don't care for "amazing liner notes", there has to be something really special to make me buy it. On the other hand, you can never have too many live concerts on DVD, so buying the L&L will compliment my bootlegs perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Stacked Actor View Post
I've seen the In Utero Gold Edition on sale at more than one Best Buy (in stock, fyi).
I remember seeing it in a store 7 or 8 years ago, and wish I'd picked it up. All I see nowadays is a copy online for close to 500.

Last edited by R1chard : September 26th 2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old September 26th 2013, 08:42 AM
How Do You Do

phone interview with Dave on BBCradio6 right now. listen online http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/on-air

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old September 26th 2013, 11:31 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
I have faith in Albini to produce the thing properly. What I don't have any faith in is what happens afterwards once Albini has left the building. Unfortunately, I lost all faith in Universal when they admitted to letting a teenage intern press a few buttons during the final stages of the Back To The Future remaster. The whole trilogy of movies got screwed up to the stage they were unwatchable, and yet Universal allowed the discs to be released even after they had been told about the mistake. Since Universal now own Geffen, I'm just reluctant to believe anything they say. IU is my favorite Nirvana album, and I simply will not tolerate it being ruined, so I want to be careful to avoid this.

And since I own nearly all the demos, and don't care for "amazing liner notes", there has to be something really special to make me buy it. On the other hand, you can never have too many live concerts on DVD, so buying the L&L will compliment my bootlegs perfectly.

I remember seeing it in a store 7 or 8 years ago, and wish I'd picked it up. All I see nowadays is a copy online for close to 500.
No that's what I'm saying, the quality is good. It's just as dynamic as the 1993 release, maybe even more so. It's not brickwalled or badly compressed at all.

For the best deal I'd advise picking up the 2CD deluxe and separate DVD.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old September 26th 2013, 06:55 PM
I'm a Muggle Fuggin' Wizard

I bought it today. Listening through the remastered version first.
Old September 27th 2013, 12:02 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
For the best deal I'd advise picking up the 2CD deluxe and separate DVD.
This is what I don't get. Am I right in thinking there's a 2-CD version and a 4 disc version (the 2 CDs, the live DVD, and a pointless CD of the DVD)? I just had a quick look on the UK versions of Amazon and Play, and the 2-disc version is about 15, the standalone DVD is about 12, and yet the 4-disc version is 80?! Having the audio from the concert on CD is a complete waste of time, just as it was with Reading (it's 44kHz instead if 48kHz, and you obviously can't watch it). So unless I'm missing something, why would anybody bother with the 4-disc version?
Old September 27th 2013, 12:30 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
This is what I don't get. Am I right in thinking there's a 2-CD version and a 4 disc version (the 2 CDs, the live DVD, and a pointless CD of the DVD)? I just had a quick look on the UK versions of Amazon and Play, and the 2-disc version is about 15, the standalone DVD is about 12, and yet the 4-disc version is 80?! Having the audio from the concert on CD is a complete waste of time, just as it was with Reading (it's 44kHz instead if 48kHz, and you obviously can't watch it). So unless I'm missing something, why would anybody bother with the 4-disc version?
You're exactly right, yes. The Super Deluxe set is disproportionately priced and I guess it only appeals to the older Nirvana fans that like a big, fancy package. Or just collectors. I certainly won't buy it.

--
Old September 28th 2013, 07:10 AM
I'll Stick Around

I have to admit to buying the Super Deluxe and I have no regrets. I know it is overpriced but I love it anyway.
Old September 28th 2013, 05:13 PM
Slugs punctuate the refrain

Sold out in every local store here, I'll just order through internet :/
Old September 29th 2013, 08:21 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelette424 View Post
I have to admit to buying the Super Deluxe and I have no regrets. I know it is overpriced but I love it anyway.
Same here. No regrets whatsoever.

As a diehard Nirvana fan, I have to own stuff like this. It's just the way it is with me. Goes without saying. Call me a fanboy or an idiot, but even at $120, I bought the super deluxe without even stopping to think about it.

Nevermind (haha) that IU is one of my favorite albums of all time, but it's just the experience of the whole package. To be able to sit down and extensively rediscover why I fell so hard in love with this album in the first place, to the memory of the band.

It's kind of like when Dave said earlier this year how "people should remember the good things about Kurt and the band". This is one of those packages that reminds me why Nirvana's short lifespan has influenced and meant so much to my entire lifespan.

I'm pleased to hear that Albini was responsible with the final mixes, too. Not that I ever doubted the guy would give the whole thing the utmost care, but I look forward to listening to it with aplomb in the next couple of days when it arrives in the mail
Old September 29th 2013, 01:59 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Somebody said on NFC yesterday that the live DVD sounds terrible. Does anybody have any comments on that?

It's ironic, I was thinking that the CD of the original album would sound bad, and the DVD would be good. Turns out it might be the other way round... A shame, because I was looking forward to the DVD more than the remaster.
Old September 29th 2013, 02:05 PM
The Sidekick

The mix isn't exceptional but I wouldn't call it terrible. Kurt and Pat's guitars are panned left and right, bass is there but a bit low, drums are clear and punchy, vocals pretty standard fare although again a bit low in the mix at times. Nothing badly wrong with it to my ears. It is loud though, yeah, not like the studio discs.

It's mixed by the same guy that did Reading and pretty similar really.

--
Old September 30th 2013, 12:17 PM
Have you found your way around

Bought the 2CD version for 12.99.

I couldn't justify spending money on the Super Deluxe. Compared to other box sets out at the moment its appauling value for money.

Nevermind wasn't great value for money but I bought the Super Deluxe of that.

I chose to buy the Clash Sound System box set instead, which is only slightly more expensive but 100 times the value for money - 12 remastered CDs in special cases, DVDs, fanzines, badges etc.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old September 30th 2013, 04:52 PM
Guitar Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_foo View Post
Bought the 2CD version for 12.99.

I couldn't justify spending money on the Super Deluxe. Compared to other box sets out at the moment its appauling value for money.

Nevermind wasn't great value for money but I bought the Super Deluxe of that.

I chose to buy the Clash Sound System box set instead, which is only slightly more expensive but 100 times the value for money - 12 remastered CDs in special cases, DVDs, fanzines, badges etc.
I Bought that version too.
Super Deluxe was like 60 for something that will end up being sold for about 15-20 in the near future

Foo Fighter Funnys
Upcoming Gigs
Foo Fighters/Royal Blood
Fall Out Boy
Bullet For My Valentine
Sabaton/Alestorm
Old September 30th 2013, 06:47 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Really, this whole "Super Deluxe" thing just shows that record companies haven't got to grips with their own industry, and that Geffen just don't understand what they are selling. Giving you the same album twice, in the same pack, on two different discs is stupid and wasteful enough, but when they price it at higher than the sum of all of its parts, you know something is wrong.

In fact, in some cases they've even destroyed some of their own profits- normally, I would happily pay 20 for a concert DVD, and yet record companies have gotten used to this box set reissue thing, and in the case of Michael Jackson at Wembley, they found themselves selling the Bad CD+DVD for 20, meaning that they would look stupid unless they sold the standalone DVD for 10. Since the album wasn't worth buying, I then saved 10 by buying just the DVD that I would have had to buy the box set for...

Quote:
it only appeals to the older Nirvana fans that like a big, fancy package. Or just collectors. I certainly won't buy it.
But I don't know who are these people that like big packages. For me, it's always been about the music, rather than the number of pieces of plastic that I own. As for odd-sized boxes, I mean seriously, where am I supposed to put WTLO? It certainly doesn't fit neatly onto my shelf next to all my other albums. And it doesn't fit in my glove box, so even if the discs would actually stay put and not keep falling out, I wouldn't take it out of the house. And that's probably why I'm less likely to play it than any other album I own, because it's tucked out of the way in a forgotten location, with the result that I haven't listened to it in at least 3 years.

Anyway, getting back to the sound quality issue, which really must be the only reason for the reissue in the first place, does anybody else have any comments on the CD album? Or on the concert DVD?