Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old October 16th 2018, 06:37 PM
littledarkpoet littledarkpoet is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 254
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Foo headline shows have upfront costs that take a while to recover though, hiring the stages, stage hands, one off staff, advertising, logistics etc etc. Festivals are far simpler, they just have to turn up with their gear, a bit of a stage setup, and play.
This is a good point, less overhead than a normal show.

If I had to guess I'd say BST, and TRSNMT, as they seem more like headline shows, so they'd likely get a better financial return, IOW are only charging £140 currently for a weekend ticket, for 72K capacity, so not sure if that would make financial sense.

I know the Foo's turned down IOW for 2015, but obviously that was because of Glastonbury, and their own shows, with John Giddings tweet about it, being very blunt! (Factual but blunt!)

Who knows though.. I did think after this summer it might be a while before I saw them live again, I was thinking a couple of years minimum.. we might get lucky..
__________________
12/05 - London 01/06 - Paris 06/06 - London 06/06 - London
08/07 - Stafford 11/07 - Manchester 11/07 - Birmingham
11/07 - Nottingham 06/08 - London 02/11 - London 08/12 - Reading
09/14 - HOV - London (OMFG) 09/14 - London 05/15 - Sunderland
06/15 - Edinburgh 06/15 - Glastonbury 09/15 - Milton Keynes
09/15 - Edinburgh 11/15 - Amsterdam 11/15 - Cologne
06/17 - Glastonbury 07/17 - Paris 09/17 - London
06/18 - Antwerp 06/18 - London 06/18 - London
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old October 16th 2018, 08:40 PM
Johnson_Foo's Avatar
Johnson_Foo Johnson_Foo is offline
Right down the drain I go…
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South of England
Posts: 275
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledarkpoet View Post
This is a good point, less overhead than a normal show.

If I had to guess I'd say BST, and TRSNMT, as they seem more like headline shows, so they'd likely get a better financial return, IOW are only charging £140 currently for a weekend ticket, for 72K capacity, so not sure if that would make financial sense.

I know the Foo's turned down IOW for 2015, but obviously that was because of Glastonbury, and their own shows, with John Giddings tweet about it, being very blunt! (Factual but blunt!)

Who knows though.. I did think after this summer it might be a while before I saw them live again, I was thinking a couple of years minimum.. we might get lucky..
Im hoping for BST, really well organised festival and (I'm guessing) a bigger capacity than TRNSMT? BST are all also really good at providing a decent bill throughout the day, which would fit well for someone like Tenacious D to have an exclusive UK show
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old October 16th 2018, 11:41 PM
Epic Failure's Avatar
Epic Failure Epic Failure is offline
The Cookie Is A Lie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Heart of Transylvania
Posts: 27,697
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks12 View Post
They do day tickets which is easier than having to buy for the whole festival. For download Paris I got two day tickets but it would have worked out cheaper to buy an early bird one.

Reading would suit me better as we get guest tickets
True, but the price of day tickets for most festivals is usually almost half the cost of a full ticket. And Download is usually a solid festival with a decent lineup. Reading has been going downhill for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
Im hoping for BST, really well organised festival and (I'm guessing) a bigger capacity than TRNSMT? BST are all also really good at providing a decent bill throughout the day, which would fit well for someone like Tenacious D to have an exclusive UK show
There's no reason for them not to do both. They happen around the same time, so there wouldn't be real additional travel costs and they could easily sell tickets to both.

I would be slightly surprised if they didn't do one of Reading or Download though. Doing DL France suggests they are building a working relationship with that company and the timing fits with the Hurricane/Southside dates. And Dave's always had something of a love affair with Reading.
__________________
Mutare Vel Timere Sperno
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old October 17th 2018, 08:59 AM
pjonze's Avatar
pjonze pjonze is offline
FooArchive
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,032
Default Re: Europe 2019

I'm coming around to the idea of TRNSMT after Dave telling Kerrang! that although CalJam was supposed to end the touring cycle they included a bunch of dates after because they realised there were several cities they'd overlooked.
Surely if you care about missing a city, then ignoring a whole country in a tour cycle can't sit well with you.
__________________
webmaster - www.FooArchive.com

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old October 17th 2018, 10:24 AM
Johnson_Foo's Avatar
Johnson_Foo Johnson_Foo is offline
Right down the drain I go…
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South of England
Posts: 275
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
I'm coming around to the idea of TRNSMT after Dave telling Kerrang! that although CalJam was supposed to end the touring cycle they included a bunch of dates after because they realised there were several cities they'd overlooked.
Surely if you care about missing a city, then ignoring a whole country in a tour cycle can't sit well with you.
You never know, that would increase the chances of a Welsh date if theres a suitable festival.

Anyone know how much a megabus is to Glasgow from Bristol? :P
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old October 17th 2018, 01:28 PM
scottish_foo scottish_foo is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 1,786
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
You never know, that would increase the chances of a Welsh date if theres a suitable festival.

Anyone know how much a megabus is to Glasgow from Bristol? :P
I think Transmt is too small, and tends to focus on the same group of bands that always headlined T in the Park or pop crap.

Anyway, it looks like there won't be many dates next year as in an NME interview, Dave is talking about taking a year off to plan the next album:
https://www.nme.com/news/music/foo-f...-album-2390904
__________________
Gigs:
Black Sabbath - Glasgow Hydro, January
The Skids, Edinburgh, May
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old October 17th 2018, 02:32 PM
Johnson_Foo's Avatar
Johnson_Foo Johnson_Foo is offline
Right down the drain I go…
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South of England
Posts: 275
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_foo View Post
I think Transmt is too small, and tends to focus on the same group of bands that always headlined T in the Park or pop crap.

Anyway, it looks like there won't be many dates next year as in an NME interview, Dave is talking about taking a year off to plan the next album:
https://www.nme.com/news/music/foo-f...-album-2390904
I agree and think BST is more likely, Download would certainly be a good payday but I just feel like they won't be booked (although I hope I'm wrong).
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old October 17th 2018, 02:55 PM
Jon84 Jon84 is offline
Monkey
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southend, Essex, UK
Posts: 346
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks12 View Post
Might go to this though, not been to hamburg so could make a mini break of it.
It's a great city! Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
I agree and think BST is more likely, Download would certainly be a good payday but I just feel like they won't be booked (although I hope I'm wrong).
They are not METULZZZ enough for Download IMO. I was surprised Muse were booked a couple of years back.

Neither an Old School Metal band, any of the regulars who keep popping up.
__________________

2011 - Milton Keynes
2008 - Wembley
2007 - The O2
2006 - Hyde Park
2005 - Earls Court
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old October 17th 2018, 03:07 PM
pjonze's Avatar
pjonze pjonze is offline
FooArchive
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 6,032
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon84 View Post
They are not METULZZZ enough for Download IMO. I was surprised Muse were booked a couple of years back.

Neither an Old School Metal band, any of the regulars who keep popping up.
Well, regardless he keeps chasing them (and from the looks of things had them down for headlining in 2016: https://twitter.com/FooArchive/statu...50552050388992 )
__________________
webmaster - www.FooArchive.com

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old October 17th 2018, 03:52 PM
Becks12's Avatar
Becks12 Becks12 is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London
Posts: 413
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon84 View Post
It's a great city! Go for it!



They are not METULZZZ enough for Download IMO. I was surprised Muse were booked a couple of years back.

Neither an Old School Metal band, any of the regulars who keep popping up.
But they did Download Paris last year and got a great reception!

I'll see what else they announce before booking Hamburg, still struggling to get time off for Glastonbury so asking for the week before off as well isnt going to help my case. However if they're playing on the saturday then it could definitely happen.
__________________
London Stadium 22 & 23 June 18
James Corden Show, June 18
Download Paris, June 18
O2, Sept 17
Lollapalloza Berlin, Sept 2017
NOS Alive, July 2017
Glastonbury 2017
Paris, Nov, 20 15
Berlin, Nov, 2015
Milton Keynes 5 & 6 Sept, 2015
Glastonbury 2015
Wembley, 20th June 2015
Invictus Closing Concert, London, Sep 2014
Milton Keynes, July 2011
Wembley, June 2008
Reading, August 29th, 1998
Glastonbury June, 26th, 1998
Ozzfest, June 20th,1998
Shepherds Bush, Dec 13th, 1997
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old October 17th 2018, 04:41 PM
Johnson_Foo's Avatar
Johnson_Foo Johnson_Foo is offline
Right down the drain I go…
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South of England
Posts: 275
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
Well, regardless he keeps chasing them (and from the looks of things had them down for headlining in 2016: https://twitter.com/FooArchive/statu...50552050388992 )
Fair enough, makes it a bit more plausible but now they've done Paris it might tick the box? Regardless the more I think the more I think BST is a good fit for the band, plus after last years more pop lineup they're probably aiming for another rock act after Green Day the previous year
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old October 18th 2018, 10:42 AM
Claremac50 Claremac50 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Warrington, UK
Posts: 6
Default Re: Europe 2019

http://http://loudwire.com/foo-fighters-plan-break-before-recording-new-album/?trackback=twitter_mobile
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old October 18th 2018, 02:05 PM
scottish_foo scottish_foo is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 1,786
Default Re: Europe 2019

I posted that interview above from NME but probably same source:
http://forum.foofighters.com/showpos...0&postcount=46
__________________
Gigs:
Black Sabbath - Glasgow Hydro, January
The Skids, Edinburgh, May
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old October 19th 2018, 01:35 PM
Claremac50 Claremac50 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Warrington, UK
Posts: 6
Default Re: Europe 2019

Ah didnt see that!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old October 19th 2018, 07:08 PM
Epic Failure's Avatar
Epic Failure Epic Failure is offline
The Cookie Is A Lie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Heart of Transylvania
Posts: 27,697
Default Re: Europe 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
Well, regardless he keeps chasing them (and from the looks of things had them down for headlining in 2016: https://twitter.com/FooArchive/statu...50552050388992 )
Yeah, Andy Copping has been after them for years and when they do a poll on the message board, they are usually near the top of the lists of people who are requested.

Not to mention that DL has had Biffy Clyro, Prodigy, Muse, G'n'R and others headline, none of whom are dramatically heavier than Foos, as well as plenty of lower down the card acts who aren't metal. It's rock and metal, not just metal.
__________________
Mutare Vel Timere Sperno
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old October 20th 2018, 08:10 PM
scottish_foo scottish_foo is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 1,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claremac50 View Post
Ah didnt see that!!! Thanks
No worries.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old October 22nd 2018, 07:59 PM
Becks12's Avatar
Becks12 Becks12 is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London
Posts: 413
Default Re: Europe 2019 (Currently just Germany)

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but download are making an announcement tomorrow at 2pm about headliners.
__________________
London Stadium 22 & 23 June 18
James Corden Show, June 18
Download Paris, June 18
O2, Sept 17
Lollapalloza Berlin, Sept 2017
NOS Alive, July 2017
Glastonbury 2017
Paris, Nov, 20 15
Berlin, Nov, 2015
Milton Keynes 5 & 6 Sept, 2015
Glastonbury 2015
Wembley, 20th June 2015
Invictus Closing Concert, London, Sep 2014
Milton Keynes, July 2011
Wembley, June 2008
Reading, August 29th, 1998
Glastonbury June, 26th, 1998
Ozzfest, June 20th,1998
Shepherds Bush, Dec 13th, 1997
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old October 23rd 2018, 02:05 PM
Johnson_Foo's Avatar
Johnson_Foo Johnson_Foo is offline
Right down the drain I go…
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South of England
Posts: 275
Default Re: Europe 2019 (Currently just Germany)

def Leppard, slipknot and tool have been announced for download
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old October 23rd 2018, 02:28 PM
Becks12's Avatar
Becks12 Becks12 is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London
Posts: 413
Default Re: Europe 2019 (Currently just Germany)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
def Leppard, slipknot and tool have been announced for download

R&L vs BST then?
__________________
London Stadium 22 & 23 June 18
James Corden Show, June 18
Download Paris, June 18
O2, Sept 17
Lollapalloza Berlin, Sept 2017
NOS Alive, July 2017
Glastonbury 2017
Paris, Nov, 20 15
Berlin, Nov, 2015
Milton Keynes 5 & 6 Sept, 2015
Glastonbury 2015
Wembley, 20th June 2015
Invictus Closing Concert, London, Sep 2014
Milton Keynes, July 2011
Wembley, June 2008
Reading, August 29th, 1998
Glastonbury June, 26th, 1998
Ozzfest, June 20th,1998
Shepherds Bush, Dec 13th, 1997
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old October 23rd 2018, 05:57 PM
Johnson_Foo's Avatar
Johnson_Foo Johnson_Foo is offline
Right down the drain I go…
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: South of England
Posts: 275
Default Re: Europe 2019 (Currently just Germany)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks12 View Post

R&L vs BST then?
BST or nothing I think. The gap between the German festival and reading is too big I think
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.