Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 13th 2011, 08:37 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Default Re: Medium Rare on eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by legolas120 View Post
I agree with you on the purpose of RSD. I cannot speak for the others who are buying this LP or other RSD releases on eBay, but for myself I live in a city with 2 stores that participate, both on the small side. I went in and talked to the guys in one about RSD. Of course they have no way of knowing what they are getting, and I cannot be at the store that morning. So I scooped up an eBay copy at store price and should have it by tomorrow.

This is not to say that each auction up right now is a good thing though. Just saying, each person buying one may not be able to get one the normal way.
I can agree with that though - sometimes I know I'm willing to push it if I want something bad enough, and if something like that came up and I could afford it, I'd at least think about it.

Plus stores don't normally get their stock until the day before, so I'm interested how they've got copies.

Old April 13th 2011, 09:22 PM
Looking for a sign of life

I just pre-ordered Medium Rare, it will be delivered on Monday

just 24,90 euro's!
Old April 13th 2011, 09:26 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Beyond View Post
I just pre-ordered Medium Rare, it will be delivered on Monday

just 24,90 euro's!
Two thumbs up!
9-17-2011......St. Louis, Scottrade Center
Old April 13th 2011, 09:29 PM
Looking for a sign of life

Quote:
Two thumbs up!
FUck yeah.. April is a good month for me Wasting Light both on CD and vinyl, and I watched the docu AND Medium Rare.. I feel like a 5 year old on Christmas eve all over again
Old April 13th 2011, 09:53 PM
I'll Stick Around

Well, this guy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOO-FIGHTERS-Med...item2562e900b9

...has sold two today at $65 each already. He just bumped his buy it now up to $81 on the next listing. Yikes! At least he is waiting to ship until Monday. So much for getting one at his store on Saturday!
Old April 13th 2011, 11:55 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I managed to pick ours up today at a local record store. $18.99 + tax.
Old April 14th 2011, 12:01 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Well, this guy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOO-FIGHTERS-Med...item2562e900b9

...has sold two today at $65 each already. He just bumped his buy it now up to $81 on the next listing. Yikes! At least he is waiting to ship until Monday. So much for getting one at his store on Saturday!
I saw that last night my time when he had it listed at one price and put it up, then he's withdrawn it, maybe he's not as sure of actually HAVING the copies at all. I will put money on there being several people who by on Ebay who get the "I'm really sorry here is your money back" email.

So my advice to all those that need to use Ebay to secure a copy:

1) Buy only from a seller that is obviously a record trader or record store - DON'T waste your time with Johnny nomates who is going to try and stand in line and secure your copy.

2) Dont buy from traders outside of the US until AFTER the release date or unless they state clearly the record is in their possession. I've just been told this is NOT going to be in huge supply outside of the US and that there is a good chance many orders to overseas RSD stores may not get fulfilled.

For myself I saw one come up that met all the above today at 49.99. Not stupidly high, not cheap. Bidding on the listed ones is currently a bit over the 30 mark right now - and they will no doubt end higher. So I figure $50 Buy Now is about on the money for value versus rarity.

I bought it, sent my payment, refreshed the search and there was another one at 24.99 so I snagged that too

I see a couple of others went in the early 20's today as well. So spend a a bit of time and be patient and you could well get a copy at around the $35 - 40 mark. That's a good price. Up to $50 will be acceptable. Over that is too high. These are just my assessments based on past RSDs, the Foos etc etc.

So I now have two copies coming at an average price of $37.50. Very happy with that

I was there
Old April 14th 2011, 12:02 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieterMC View Post
I managed to pick ours up today at a local record store. $18.99 + tax.
Would be so nice to be a US resident this week

I was there
Old April 14th 2011, 12:08 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
Would be so nice to be a US resident this week
Any idea on run numbers for Medium Rare?
Old April 14th 2011, 12:10 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
At the risk of being contraversial, it's annoying. The whole point is to celebrate independant record stores, and to get people through the doors, spending money in there. Not to buy the special stuff at stupidly inflated prices before it's supposed to be available on ebay /rantover

Having said that, if you've got a copy, then cool you know.
I have a different take on it.

Nice as that idea is - the internet has blown the whole damn idea of buying anything being associated with a physical place right out of the water - its just gone. And making these items SO exclusive just makes it ten times worse.

What they SHOULD be doing is saying OK there is going to be this RSD release. And that means its a special release FOR RSD that will come out on RSD (nothing different to here).

Comedown on the day and and buy 5 (say) RSD releases, and you'll get one free. Or maybe buy 10 and well give you a 15% off voucher that's good for our store for a whole year until the next RSD.

Monday, all the RSD releases just become standard commercial products sold everywhere, but say without an RSD cover logo or something like that to distinguish you bought the first release.

99% of the shit will be taken out of the whole thing, and i bet the stores would do a whole lot better over the following year too.

I was there
Old April 14th 2011, 12:16 AM
Screams in silence

I don't see how it helps the independent stores when over 300 different limiteds are released in one day. Huge business one day, not so much any of the others. How about having a day a month for them to be released so they have some constant traffic?
Old April 14th 2011, 12:20 AM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Quote:
The whole point is to celebrate independant record stores, and to get people through the doors, spending money in there. Not to buy the special stuff at stupidly inflated prices before it's supposed to be available on ebay /rantover
*Clicks imaginary LIKE button*
Old April 14th 2011, 12:22 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnine13 View Post
I don't see how it helps the independent stores when over 300 different limiteds are released in one day. Huge business one day, not so much any of the others. How about having a day a month for them to be released so they have some constant traffic?
I would imagine most sell formats other than LP. My RSD store sells mostly cd's and probably does just fine over the course of a year.

I stopped into Grimey's in Nashville last fall and I think they are the exception to the norm when it comes to brick and mortar records shops. What a store.

At least something is being done to recognize vinyl though. I think FZ has some good ideas though.
Old April 14th 2011, 12:31 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Any idea on run numbers for Medium Rare?
As Ive mentioned elsewhere, the official RSD PDF has a mysterious blank next to where the run total should be for the release, but MR isn't the only one where that is the case.

Looking at the rest of the releases Bruce Springsteen has a double ten inch that has 8000 copies, and Nirvanas "Hormoaning" gets 6000 but nobody else looks to be more than 5000, so I would say that if *might* be higher than 5000, but I wouldn't count on it, and it is quite probably less.

I was there
Old April 14th 2011, 12:43 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
So I now have two copies coming at an average price of $37.50. Very happy with that
You best stay away from Slow Boat on Saturday then
Old April 14th 2011, 02:01 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef-k View Post
You best stay away from Slow Boat on Saturday then
I will still be trying to get to BOTH Slow Boat and RG if I possibly can. But I wont be holding Jeremy to his promise of supplying me with a copy first if he gets any. (I was at him about it before he had any idea the Foos were even participating in the day).

If they do get copies he's already told me that they probably wont be there by Saturday anyway. But now I have secured one (OK more than one) I will let them go to other NZ fans if they do arrive by or after the day.

I was there
Old April 14th 2011, 08:27 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnine13 View Post
What it DOES do is put vinyl right in the headlines and super highly sought after. Look at all the people even here saying yeah I'm going to get a copy because it's the Foos, but I don't even have a player. It will be possible to get the Q copy on CD, but really this is vinyl only, which is a pretty huge statement. And that's true of most of the RSD releases. The idea then is hmmm maybe I SHOULD be able to play this...

When people start to hear what a record really sounds like there's a pretty high chance there's another convert in the bag. And where would they go to get vinyl records for that nice new turntable without the big cost of shipping... those record store places might be worth a look...

I was there
Old April 14th 2011, 10:07 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
I have a different take on it.

Nice as that idea is - the internet has blown the whole damn idea of buying anything being associated with a physical place right out of the water - its just gone. And making these items SO exclusive just makes it ten times worse.

What they SHOULD be doing is saying OK there is going to be this RSD release. And that means its a special release FOR RSD that will come out on RSD (nothing different to here).

Comedown on the day and and buy 5 (say) RSD releases, and you'll get one free. Or maybe buy 10 and well give you a 15% off voucher that's good for our store for a whole year until the next RSD.

Monday, all the RSD releases just become standard commercial products sold everywhere, but say without an RSD cover logo or something like that to distinguish you bought the first release.

99% of the shit will be taken out of the whole thing, and i bet the stores would do a whole lot better over the following year too.
So nothing is allowed to have any rules any more, and everyone should expect that if they try and do something nice, it will just be circumvented by gimps out for a quick buck? That's basically what it boils down to - you should expect someone to try and undermine you all the time. I realise that at the end of the day, this is just a record release, and not war prevention or whatever, but that's still no reason for something to be undermined, and then that undermining to be defended with a shrug and a 'these things happen'.

I agree that you could put more incentives for longer term use for sure, but getting such 'big names' in the music industry behind your initiative is a bit of a coup. And why not. If it get's people through the doors for the first time, then you can work on keeping them there.

I realise that expecting people to never abuse a system is naive, because it's always happened one way or another, but I don't see why we should just like it or lump it.

Old April 14th 2011, 10:54 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
So nothing is allowed to have any rules any more, and everyone should expect that if they try and do something nice, it will just be circumvented by gimps out for a quick buck? That's basically what it boils down to - you should expect someone to try and undermine you all the time. I realise that at the end of the day, this is just a record release, and not war prevention or whatever, but that's still no reason for something to be undermined, and then that undermining to be defended with a shrug and a 'these things happen'.

I agree that you could put more incentives for longer term use for sure, but getting such 'big names' in the music industry behind your initiative is a bit of a coup. And why not. If it get's people through the doors for the first time, then you can work on keeping them there.

I realise that expecting people to never abuse a system is naive, because it's always happened one way or another, but I don't see why we should just like it or lump it.
Dave and the guys know better than ANYONE what this game is all about. The dulexe package was quietly, almost secretly released (VERY deliberate to allow folk like those here to gather their thoughts and finances and step up to the plate). The White Limo promo idea, the documentary, the tape cutting and inclusion with the cds, the band in your garage concept, all the secret oops aint no secret party shows. And finally the Medium Rare RSD release. All basically simultaneous.

Don't ever discount the fact that nothing is for nothing. From the band's perspective (and please these are MY feelings on what their perspective is)

"Take it all and run with it. Do it big or go home. Do it with feeling and do it for the fans - and try your best to do something that fucking matters and puts the music right out there every way you know how - because its so easy to be lost in the noise. Use every means you can and don't look at the downside. And finally use your wealth and your power and the fucking music to support good causes."

If that means supporting a flawed RSD release then ok thats the way it is. Yes it IS just a record release, and yes its gonna get ripped shitless in price as time goes by because of how its been released.

If Dave rang me up and said Mike, how should we released this motherfucker, I'd have said immediately Dave there is only one right way to do it. You want a triple vinyl special edition in mass production, no limited edition horse shit you buy the vinyl you get the covers LP you buy the CD you get Wasting Light only.

But Dave and the boys rightly like to support good causes, and vinyl and record stores are a very good cause to support. It's not their fault the cause's process is flawed, or Ebay exists, or there is no way to hunt these people down and tie them to a railway track.

So I guess i do imply that's the way it is, because I know in my own mind THEY know that's the way it is too. For my part I am comfortable that if I was ever asked, or even if I wasn't - I could tell them how the hell they could fix it all up. But sadly another thing you can't ever change is that the average IQ is 100, and 50% of the people in the world are stupid, and a good number of the ones that aren't simply don't care about anyone but themselves.

I don't like it and I've bitched about it places other than just here. The stores basically see it as a something's better than nothing situation. Throw down some ideas for a written submission to Eric Levin, Michael Kurtz, Melanie Nipper, and Carrie Colliton at
information@recordstoreday.com
and I will be right with you in helping to try and make it different. I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would work on it too.

I was there
Old April 14th 2011, 11:26 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

For those that are interested:

Medium Rare On Ebay

To date on Ebay 14 copies sold - all under Buy Now

Lowest Price: USD $17.95 (First Sale)

Highest Price: USD $75.00 (Second Sale)

Average price: USD $40.35

Seven sold under USD $30.00

The first two at actual auction end in just over a day - both currently over USD $30.00

My advice if you have no hope in buying from a store this weekend, get one if you see it under $40, or wait for the flood of sellers fighting to shift their copies after they get them in the weekend.

I was there