Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 18th 2011, 10:12 PM
The Boss

Default Re: Boston - Last Na Tour Date = Boooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leecy View Post
Oh this is delicious.
10 years down the drain. Who knew?! NO ONE TOLD ME NOT TO READ EVERY THREAD!

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old November 18th 2011, 10:42 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I edited.

Sorry you feel that way. Dave is crying on the inside.
haha...Priceless!
Old November 19th 2011, 01:04 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBB7 View Post
We definitely have different opinions of the concert experience.
I must say the sound quality of JF and the Foos I found to be awesome on the rail, Social D not so much, I couldn't hear a single lyric!
Old November 19th 2011, 01:38 AM
Colors inside the lines

I thought they sounded pretty good frim the rail in Charlotte & DC.

*wears a helmet at all times*
Old November 19th 2011, 02:18 AM
Yo.

Yep, Social D sounded great in CLT and DC. Differing opinions is what makes the work go around. Story of my life.
Old November 19th 2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingo05 View Post
I thought they sounded pretty good frim the rail in Charlotte & DC.
...As did I! I thought they sounded good every place I saw them
Old November 19th 2011, 01:41 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbono View Post
My issue is NOT with jamming. I love it when any band jams out in a bridge, a solo break, the ending of a song, etc. But in Boston, the boys took it to another level, even for them!!! I will use the quiet break in Learn To Fly for a specific example. The break comes, and the lights go out. Dave waits for what seems like an eternity before a simple strum, then even longer before beginning the lyrics..."flyyyyy along with me, I can't quite make it alone...."

Do me a favor, go on youtube, type in Foo Fighters Learn to Fly Boston.

There was nothing different about that song than how they've played it every show since like 2000....and Dave taking forever before strumming that first chord? Didn't happen.

I admit some of the stuff I could take or leave. But it's hardly a dealbreaker

And yes, the new Garden does have kinda bad sound, especially for actually loud bands. I actually only saw 1 show at the old Garden and didn't notice a problem either way (though I had good seats and it was Tom Petty, so it's kinda hard for that to be fucked up)....But I've seen bands multiple times on the same tour and know that the upper level and back of that building sounds like absolute shit. It swallows noise and gets really muddy.

When I've been on the floor or in the front lower half of the arena? No complains (other than maybe it being a little too loud).
Old November 19th 2011, 01:42 PM
The Sidekick

Whilst I disagree with many points raised here I do think the comments about some of the breakdowns and their length is a fair comment. In two and a half hours you really would hope for more than 22 songs.

The point that some of the breakdowns destroy the pace of the songs is also a fair comment, 'All My Life' is THE fast paced, jump and go crazy song of the night and adding a minute breakdown with just light guitar does kill the force of the song a bit.

It's a bit like when Them Crooked Vultures were touring on one album, they tried to stretch the songs out over longer and longer each night meaning longer jams and breakdowns and some of them went on too long. Foo Fighters don't have the problem of lack of material though so could easily plough through the songs if they wanted. I know personally I would prefer an extra song over a four minute jam in Monkey Wrench. Just listening to the San Diego show now and the song was just short of 11 minutes long. That's too much, in my opinion.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 19th 2011, 02:31 PM
I'll Stick Around

Last edited by Kim12 : July 24th 2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old November 19th 2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
Whilst I disagree with many points raised here I do think the comments about some of the breakdowns and their length is a fair comment. In two and a half hours you really would hope for more than 22 songs.

The point that some of the breakdowns destroy the pace of the songs is also a fair comment, 'All My Life' is THE fast paced, jump and go crazy song of the night and adding a minute breakdown with just light guitar does kill the force of the song a bit.

It's a bit like when Them Crooked Vultures were touring on one album, they tried to stretch the songs out over longer and longer each night meaning longer jams and breakdowns and some of them went on too long. Foo Fighters don't have the problem of lack of material though so could easily plough through the songs if they wanted. I know personally I would prefer an extra song over a four minute jam in Monkey Wrench. Just listening to the San Diego show now and the song was just short of 11 minutes long. That's too much, in my opinion.
Oh, sheet,
here we go again from one of the major contributors on that "too much" setlist thread,
now we're gonna go into the minutae of how long a song is or how many songs should be squeezed into a 2 and a half hour long set?!

Buddy, get real,
this is a live rock show, not everyone is gonna get to have everything they want- unless you want schizoid rockers tryin' to compromise in 18,000 ways.

I suppose next, you're gonna tell these guys "how" to strum and what marks on stage they should use at what point of each song?!

WOW
:?
Old November 19th 2011, 02:39 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elayblooze View Post
Oh, sheet,
here we go again from one of the major contributors on that "too much" setlist thread,
now we're gonna go into the minutae of how long a song is or how many songs should be squeezed into a 2 and a half hour long set?!

Buddy, get real,
this is a live rock show, not everyone is gonna get to have everything they want- unless you want schizoid rockers tryin' to compromise in 18,000 ways.

I suppose next, you're gonna tell these guys "how" to strum and what marks on stage they should use at what point of each song?!

WOW
:?
Dude, this is a discussion forum for the band, it's where people share their thoughts and opinions on the band. We're allowed to critique them just as we can praise them.

I'm not telling them how to do anything, I'm simply passing out my opinion on what they're doing.

Sheesh.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 19th 2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Dude, this is a discussion forum for the band, it's where people share their thoughts and opinions on the band. We're allowed to critique them just as we can praise them.

I'm not telling them how to do anything, I'm simply passing out my opinion on what they're doing.

Sheesh.
Yeah, I get it, cool,
but if you remember that friggin' other thread which shall remain nameless,
I'm gonna paraphrase Woody Allen in "Annie Hall"- of course, you're allowed an opinion,
do you have to give it so loudly?"

Some people there apparently had no qualms about doin' just that

double sheesh
:>
Old November 19th 2011, 02:47 PM
Colors inside the lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgrl View Post
Yep, Social D sounded great in CLT and DC. Differing opinions is what makes the work go around. Story of my life.
I see what you did there

*wears a helmet at all times*
Old November 19th 2011, 02:48 PM
The Sidekick

Loudly? I'm not shouting or even creating threads about it myself, just contributing to other peoples discussions.

Ask anyone here that knows me and they'll tell you how big a fan I am and how much time I dedicate to the band with my website. As I also said in the setlist thread I would go and see this band anytime anywhere playing anything. That doesn't mean I don't have criticisms of the band though.

--
Old November 19th 2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Loudly? I'm not shouting or even creating threads about it myself, just contributing to other peoples discussions.

Ask anyone here that knows me and they'll tell you how big a fan I am and how much time I dedicate to the band with my website. As I also said in the setlist thread I would go and see this band anytime anywhere playing anything. That doesn't mean I don't have criticisms of the band though.
sorry dude,
and I know you do more than your share of work,
I wasn't necessarily talkin' bout you but some other posters on that infamous thread

no worries,
Old November 19th 2011, 03:12 PM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elayblooze View Post
Yeah, I get it, cool,
but if you remember that friggin' other thread which shall remain nameless,
I'm gonna paraphrase Woody Allen in "Annie Hall"- of course, you're allowed an opinion,
do you have to give it so loudly?"

Some people there apparently had no qualms about doin' just that

double sheesh
Because our opinion is as valid as the next person's. Why shouldn't we voice it? simon is one of the most passionate fans of the band that I know of, he isn't just saying it to be contrary.

As it happens, I've no issue with them doing breakdowns, even lengthy ones. I just wish it wasn't the same breakdowns in the same songs all the time.
Old November 19th 2011, 03:19 PM
The Boss

Gonna chime in and defend Simon's right to critique. If I don't have a problem with it, you shouldn't have a problem with it. Do I like the criticism? No, but we do allow differing opinions on this board and Simon runs the best fan website around when it comes to this band.

If you don't like what is being said, no one forces you to comment. It is all about self control.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old November 19th 2011, 03:25 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I've seen a lot of people saying things like "why go to a show if..blah blah blah:"

and.."you joined just to complain...yadda yadda.."

I say that's what band forums are for.

Some shows are going to be epic, and some shows are going to be not what you expected...good OR BAD.

Some shows might even leave you feeling like you've wasted your money.

Why not come in here and talk about it??
You think EVERY SINGLE person in EVERY SINGLE STATE in EVERY SINGLE venue said the EXACT same thing??

(And for the love of god, please don't criticize me for a low post count or for not being a regular and having the balls to say something...I actually came in here to post about my life changing experience seeing the Foos for the first time..but saw this first.)
Old November 19th 2011, 04:02 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Maybe this is not the right place to say and it is redundant on my part but it kinda fits -
3 Foo Fighters shows in the last two months and I saw Krist, Bob and Joan respectively as guest stars. I believe I still owe the band some money...
Old November 19th 2011, 05:41 PM
The Boss

I don't mind people having an opinion, but this "Dave is too in love with himself" shit? Come on

That crowd was the loudest I'd ever heard that building and I've seen concerts galore, playoff basketball and hockey games, and, for some reason, the circus.............