Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 24th 2014, 11:37 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: The 100 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
He sold it on ebay.
Holy crap.

May I ask the price it went for? And why is this thread called the 100 Club?
Old November 24th 2014, 11:52 PM
Fresh Pot

This is the holy grail of foo collections. Nice to know it's gone to a good home
Old November 24th 2014, 11:55 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
Holy crap.

May I ask the price it went for? And why is this thread called the 100 Club?
I'll leave it to Mike if he wants to reveal the price but he called the thread that because according to Dave he ran off just 100 copies of this tape.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 25th 2014, 12:03 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Here you go.
Thanks you very much
Old November 25th 2014, 03:19 PM
tired of wearing black and blue

So cool!
Old November 25th 2014, 06:35 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I bet that set you back a few pesos. Christmas has already come and gone for you!
Old November 25th 2014, 07:36 PM
I look better in the blue light

Seriously cool.

Nice grab.
Old November 25th 2014, 07:40 PM
Normal

Really really cool, i'm jealous
Old November 26th 2014, 06:50 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let It Die View Post
I bet that set you back a few pesos. Christmas has already come and gone for you!
Certainly made a dent - happy to officially state for the records here (and everywhere else that this has already been copied and linked lol) it was $800 US. But you can't really value it, and maybe the most valuable part was all the messages back and forth with TR starting way back in April when he had a much bigger set of stuff that included the tape.

It's another part of my crazy Foo karma, I always feel I get more than my fair share, but nothing can really beat this. We shared a bunch of messages back when the big lot didn't sell at 5K, I told him who I was, told him I couldn't afford it and that while I was shooting myself in the foot his breakdown on the value (that he gave me, I didn't ask) was way wrong and that the tape was the most valuable thing, told him never to accept offers and even told him it felt wrong to me to ever even split it all up. I said straight up I simply had too much respect for him, and the history of what it all meant not to disclose what I felt; it would just be wrong. We then shared some stuff over family loss that was very similar and wished each other the best and left it there.

He made it totally fair - he never contacted me to say he'd relisted it six months later, but he was genuinely happy that I'd seen it and he knew straight away who had won it (hence that part of his message on the postcard). I wasn't even first to see it. Everyone was questioning if it was real and put off by the (understandable) real risk that it might not be. I took one look at the user name and KNEW exactly who it was because of everything that had gone before. Foo karma, exactly how it always works just on the fookiest big scale.

So for me it's not just a copy of THE tape, but whose copy it is and the history of this particular one and my dealings with the guy that makes the whole thing so priceless to me. Plus the fact that he just totally struck me as an incredibly genuine, nice guy, with nothing but fond memories of Dave and that time in their lives.

I was there

Last edited by FooZealand : November 26th 2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old November 26th 2014, 04:15 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
Certainly made a dent - happy to officially state for the records here (and everywhere else that this has already been copied and linked lol) it was $800 US. But you can't really value it, and maybe the most valuable part was all the messages back and forth with TR starting way back in April when he had a much bigger set of stuff that included the tape.

It's another part of my crazy Foo karma, I always feel I get more than my fair share, but nothing can really beat this. We shared a bunch of messages back when the big lot didn't sell at 5K, I told him who I was, told him I couldn't afford it and that while I was shooting myself in the foot his breakdown on the value (that he gave me, I didn't ask) was way wrong and that the tape was the most valuable thing, told him never to accept offers and even told him it felt wrong to me to ever even split it all up. I said straight up I simply had too much respect for him, and the history of what it all meant not to disclose what I felt; it would just be wrong. We then shared some stuff over family loss that was very similar and wished each other the best and left it there.

He made it totally fair - he never contacted me to say he'd relisted it six months later, but he was genuinely happy that I'd seen it and he knew straight away who had won it (hence that part of his message on the postcard). I wasn't even first to see it. Everyone was questioning if it was real and put off by the (understandable) real risk that it might not be. I took one look at the user name and KNEW exactly who it was because of everything that had gone before. Foo karma, exactly how it always works just on the fookiest big scale.

So for me it's not just a copy of THE tape, but whose copy it is and the history of this particular one and my dealings with the guy that makes the whole thing so priceless to me. Plus the fact that he just totally struck me as an incredibly genuine, nice guy, with nothing but fond memories of Dave and that time in their lives.
Great item. Even greater story! Congrats, man.
9/28/08 ACL Austin TX
5/18/11 Little Rock AR
5/20/11 Memphis TN
8/7/11 Lolla Chicago IL
11/7/11 Duluth GA
9/21/12 Atlanta GA
10/26/14 LIB Las Vegas NV
5/27/15 Manchester UK
7/4/15 RFK Washington DC
9/10/17 Lolla Berlin
10/12/17 Anthem Washington DC
12/31/17 NYE Las Vegas NV
4/25/18 Tampa FL
4/26/18 West Palm Beach FL
4/28/18 Atlanta GA
9/1/18 Seattle WA
Old November 27th 2014, 12:26 AM
No false hope!

Great story and pics, thanks for sharing.
Old November 27th 2014, 11:39 PM
Have you found your way around

Dude, that is seriously one of the coolest things ever. I bet it made him happy to know that someone who appreciated it for what it was now has it. Somehow I can't see the bigger lot you mention he had up before. If someone can link me or state what was in it I'd be appreciative.

I might have slept with that under my pillow the first night I had it

Have you had a listen to the tape yet?

Old November 28th 2014, 12:16 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
Dude, that is seriously one of the coolest things ever. I bet it made him happy to know that someone who appreciated it for what it was now has it. Somehow I can't see the bigger lot you mention he had up before. If someone can link me or state what was in it I'd be appreciative.

I might have slept with that under my pillow the first night I had it

Have you had a listen to the tape yet?

It's funny - it sat in another room ON a pillow the first night - it's been airing out just to acclimatise it - then it was rewound in both directions the night before last, and will be digitized in the weekend all going well.

There were two main auctions - one Foo lot one Nirvana. Because they were both SO pricey they are still on eBay even though they didn't sell (they keep them live longer etc). these were probably the last relists - there were maybe four listings of the Foo lot before he stopped trying starting in Feb 2014.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131125296617
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131126226429

The pictures are gone from the eBay listings but were captured here in a Tumbler post:
http://tayloroo.tumblr.com/post/78044717880

I was there

Last edited by FooZealand : November 28th 2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old December 8th 2014, 05:59 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Just adding the Discogs link to the thread. All alone at the top
http://www.discogs.com/release/6388352

I was there
Old March 14th 2018, 09:41 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Long time since there was anything more worth saying on this thread. But one conversation has started off the discovery of an interesting final snippet.

The conversation had me trying to find the tumblr post from the person that saved TR Youngblood's first attempt to sell the tape as part of a really big package in one go. I found it and he also caught the signed Nirvana promo photo TR sold.

This was Feb 2014:
http://tayloroo.tumblr.com/post/78044717880

--------------
Signed Nirvana Poster

“My sister Jennifer was married to Dave Grohl during his Time in Nirvana (she took many photos used in Nirvanas unplugged album) and from the start of the Foo Fighters. Dave personally had given me this autographed Band photo because we were family and he is an actual good guy.

The photo is a David Geffen Company Release, and the photographer was Anton Corbijn. The picture is framed and is 14” long and 12.5" wide and was signed in front of my sister by the band.
Dave gave me this picture and a bunch of fantastic memories which I will always have.

I will write and Notorize a letter attesting to these facts for the winning bidder. It is my only autograph from Kurt who was an amazing person and an extremely talented musician. Dave and Kurt are very much like this generations Beatles John and Paul.“

--------------
Foo Fighters Package

”Up for auction is an authentic autographed framed Foo Fighters Rolling Stones cover poster, an autographed 1994 MTV music awards program and 1/100 Original Foo Fighters Demo Tape.

Dave Grohl is not only one of the most talented musicians in the world, he was also at one point my brother in law. Dave and the guys signed this Poster for me shortly after the article came to print and I had it framed. It measures 34 inches tall and 29 inches wide. I am also including my copy of Dave’s first Foo Fighter Demo tape he made in his friend Barrett Jones’s studio. Only 100 tapes were pressed and if memory serves me correctly, Dave played every instrument! I am happy to provide a Notorized letter attesting to its authenticity as well as provide a picture of Dave and I from when we used to pal around.

I have also added a 1994 MTV music awards program Dave gave me.
It is signed:

“TR- check it out: Madonna looked nasty up close, Michael Jackson looked fake, Mick Jagger was awesome, Snoop Dog looked wasted, Aerosmith looked old, Green Day looked totally cool, and I looked like a male model.

For real.
- David, your best buddy in the whole wide world”

Cover does have a coffee stain(fresh pots)“
--------------

These were the auction images:
Signed Nirvana Poster
Signed Rolling Stones Poster
The Tape
1994 MTV music awards program note

I was there
Old March 14th 2018, 09:48 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

So that was kinda just to dump that that history was still around.

And this next bit is just for completeness and so that its recorded...

The Nirvana Poster sold in July 2016 for (gulp) $9500
https://www.ebay.com/itm/131855055734

Part of the blub in that listing goes:

About the autographed framed piece:
THERE ARE VERY FEW AUTHENTIC SIGNED NIRVANA ITEMS BY THE 3 MEMBERS OUT THERE, THIS IS ONE OF THEM. It has been in my possession since signing. I had originally taken 3. I gave one to my friend Bob in the 90's and lost one in various moves over the years. THIS IS MY LAST ONE. (Bob still has his).

So he lost one (ouch) sold his one and his friend Bob had one.

So I just noticed he has just recently listed Bob's copy...

Unsold
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132526116739
Relisted
https://www.ebay.com/itm/132537825799

THERE ARE VERY FEW AUTHENTIC SIGNED NIRVANA ITEMS BY THE 3 MEMBERS OUT THERE, THIS IS ONE OF THEM. It has been in my best friends possession since shortly after the signing. I had originally taken 3 of these pictures after they had been signed. This is officially the last Kurt Cobain signed piece that I originally obtained. I recently sold my personal picture here on EBay.

With the success of that sale we are offering the final piece. I gave this one to my friend Bob in the 90's and lost the 3rd one in various moves over the years. THIS IS Bobs!

$9000 - so serious money.

I was there
Old March 14th 2018, 10:05 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

So anyway...

While hunting for the tumblr post I came across this...

Someone on a font typography discussion board (who knew that existed lol) trying to figure out what fonts were used:

http://www.typophile.com/node/116441

Images of Dave's copy from his old original twitter poster

FOO FIGHTERS is Latin wide http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/latin/
Don

The other two are Courier New and Arial.
MS Windows and/or Office used to include both, and Wide Latin as well.

I was there
Old March 14th 2018, 10:28 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

So because Simon had just been looking for a clean large typography source for Foo Fighters from the TIAC cover (and Tim Gabor had immediately provided me with the original from his cover designs) I thought ha, that's a funny coincidence, and shared it with them both, and also double checked with Tim that he never had any involvement, though I was sure he'd already said he hadn't it was a year or more ago.

Simon goes (paraphrasing) - well what did he want to know that for.. can't say we've seen any bootleg copies

Thinking which is perfectly obvious and not at all what had first hit me...

And Tim is even less kind (reaction really made me laugh):

"Geeesch -- I can't believe people are having conversations about the fonts used on the demo...

No I didn't have any input on it -- I remember how excited he was when he made them and how he chose a cool font called "Courier" because it made it look like a typewritten document from the government.

After he recorded and mixed the record, I believe he took it straight to the duplicator then brought them home. That's when I got one."

And so finally the actual fun fact bit... which is currently 100% just my own continuation based on Tims above recollection.

As Im reading his reply I'm like of course - it's exactly like Dave meant for the cassette to look like it was representing the style of a typewritten classified Top Secret UFO report! Hence the deliberately rough papery looking background and the "government" font. I'd never given the slightest thought to the choices but it actually makes perfect sense - the very first (and actually very deliberate) "Foo Fighters" themed artwork - right there in the damned demo?!

Demo Tape Insert & Fonts

I was there
Old March 15th 2018, 01:08 AM
Ready on your mark

Even if they're rare as rocking horse shit, I wouldn't buy anything from TR Youngblood. That strikes me as seriously tacky, flogging off things you got from your famous former brother-in-law to make bank.

Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018
Old March 15th 2018, 09:24 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
Even if they're rare as rocking horse shit, I wouldn't buy anything from TR Youngblood. That strikes me as seriously tacky, flogging off things you got from your famous former brother-in-law to make bank.
also feels a bit tacky to me, but in TR Youngblood's defense: we attach emotional significance to anything related to FF/Nirvana, but could be that he doesn't. And he's under no obligation to feel warmly towards the guy his sister divorced twenty years ago (yet still only has nice things to say about him)