Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 28th 2005, 02:10 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default A Plead to Dave and Company (With a Stern Look Towards Taylor)

So I've read a couple of the posts on this forum and decided to sign up. I believe that I have listened to this album long enough to be familiar with it, and to decide that it is horrible. I've spent the last couple of minutes looking at review sites which basically confirm my thoughts (on the whole at least), but might arrive at my conclusion for different reasons. First of all, I think that the best thing that has come out of Nirvana is the Foo Fighters. I've always enjoyed Dave's creative input in any project or side-project that he has created or aided in some shape or form. But I cannot endorse this album as being great. Sure, you may say that albums such as “One by One” aren't totally artistic and complicated like a Mars Volta or a Dream Theater album, but it still held some form of rock n' roll creativity that kept your head bopping to new sounds.
“In Your Honor” is a great album for Dave's vocal abilities. I was astounded by the progression and definitely appreciate Dave's vocal melodies on this album. That is about the only thing I liked about it. The first song (In Your Honor) was sort of a tease, because I thought it was an awesome opening for an album. It had so much energy building up and the 2nd song (No Way Back) carried that energy over fairly effectively. I really enjoyed Taylor's rhythmetic musings on the end of that song. “Best of You” and “DOA” are alright songs, but after that, I lost interest in the rest of the album. There was definitely a lack of creativity. I was inundated with power chord madness and, at least on the acoustic album, uninventive chord progressions exploited so much that it seemed like Dave thought it they were genius. The only thing was, these rock chord progression octave chord lead riffs played over overdone power chord licks were the show case of the album. Seriously Dave, you were in a band that created a song called Verse Chorus Verse Chorus to make fun of the Pop song formula. Now here you are.
And Taylor, shame on you. I usually enjoy the way you surprise me with kick ass fills and rocking beats. Though, I know you are great drummer and can probably do better, I know that you adjust your chops to fit the music. That's great though, that's what every drummer should do. But instead of doing something creative on the acoustic album, you used all the stuff that people would think would be on an acoustic album. Thanks for not exploring and showing us what you came up with. I'm sure drummers everywhere feel the same way. The rock album is a little better, but come on, I lost count of the times I heard a standard drum fill that went from snare to floor tom.
You definitely turned off a huge fan of your work. The fact that you people write music for a living, something that a lot of people would kill to do, and wrote something as minimalistic and uncreative as this is beyond me. You have all day long to do anything you want (maybe not that accurate, but you know what I mean) and this is what comes out? Either you guys don't care anymore, or you have forgotten what it means to be creative in order to have attention and respect that one deserves. Totally disappointing. I needed to give my two cents, because I have been a fan from before the beginning. Please shape up Foo Fighters!
Old June 28th 2005, 02:18 AM
Have you found your way around

Ok, You're New, Well, Newer Than Me...You Posted In The Wrong Forum, You Wanted 'Letters To The Band'. And Even If You Hadn't, You Still Would Be Saying The Exact Same Thing As The Last Guy Did. You Are, At Minimun, The 31st Person To Post A New Thread About How Much You Don't Like "In Your Honor" In The Past Hour And A Half. Just Look Before You Post Next Time, And Try Looking Through Some Of The Reviews Already Posted, There Are Plenty Of People Who Can Give You A Good Discussion About Why It's Good.

-Dave Eric Grohl

Roswell Thread: 2005.

Old June 28th 2005, 02:21 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I'm not sure I get the point of your post. Apologies for posting in the wrong section, hopefully the moderator can move it. But still, maybe if enough people post their opinions, it might take some notice.

Edit: misunderstanding...

Last edited by Shanghaiteej : June 28th 2005 at 02:27 AM.
Old June 28th 2005, 02:29 AM

...Misunderstanding. Then Its Settled, No Problems, Have Fun In The Foo Fighters Forum And Good Luck... Just Be Open Minded And Not Too Quick To Jump, Okay?

-Dave Eric Grohl

Old June 28th 2005, 02:36 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

This happens everytime a new album comes out for any popular band. People just aren't used to the way the band grows, and unfortunately, due to human nature, people only seem to complain about things. (other wise we'd have 10 "i love this posts" to every 1 "I hate this".

Personally, once I got used to the new style, I loved the new album, especially the acoustic direction (their songs always sounded good acoustic). If you pick up a new album like this and expect it to be TCATS or 1x1, you're undoubtably going to be disappointing. I love the minimalistic style, it makes the sound raw and less refined.

Something to think about: Imagine if Led Zeppelin released another album now, even though musically it would probably be the most interesting and awesome album ever, because people had been listening to the old stuff for 25 years, they would probably call the new album a big steaming pile of poopie. I think this is true of so many artists, Johnny Cash, Frank Black (whose solo stuff is really good) and Tom Petty just to name a few, their new work is so often overlooked, even though it kicks arse, because it isn't like their old stuff.

If they recorded another TCATS you'd probably be here complaining that it sounds the same as TCATS. You think the Foo Fighters are going to change for you? Grow up. You don't have to buy the albums, if you're not happy with your purchase, sell it to your neighbour or give it to a friend, I'm sure they'll love it.

Anyhow, obviously from the sales, the fans love the new album. Foo Fighters you rock, keep doing what you're doing, it's all good.

2003-Jan-16 - Auckland, New Zealand (Galatos)
2003-Jan-17 - Auckland, New Zealand (Big Day Out)
2003-Jul-05 - Boston, MA (Pavilion)
2005-Oct-15 - Worcester, MA (DCU Center)
2006-Aug-22 - Boston, MA (Acoustic Tour at the Wang)
2008-Feb-18 - Worcester, MA (DCU Center)
2011-Nov-16 - Boston, MA (Garden)
2015-Jul-18 - Boston, MA (Fenway Park)
2015-Jul-19 - Boston, MA (Fenway Park)

My Foo Fighters Gigography: http://www.samsmithnz.com/FooFighters/
Old June 28th 2005, 02:40 AM

Good Point About The New Album Thing.

-Dave Eric Grohl

Old June 28th 2005, 03:14 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghaiteej
Seriously Dave, you were in a band that created a song called Verse Chorus Verse Chorus to make fun of the Pop song formula. Now here you are.
Well, not only did they make fun of the pop song formula...for the most part they followed it to a T on their other songs. And so have the Foo Fighters for much of their career, not just this album. In fact, a lot of what you said could be applied to any Foo Fighters album from the past.

Last edited by Mr Proboto : June 28th 2005 at 04:04 AM.
Old June 28th 2005, 04:02 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinsolitude
Ok, You're New, Well, Newer Than Me...You Posted In The Wrong Forum, You Wanted 'Letters To The Band'. And Even If You Hadn't, You Still Would Be Saying The Exact Same Thing As The Last Guy Did. You Are, At Minimun, The 31st Person To Post A New Thread About How Much You Don't Like "In Your Honor" In The Past Hour And A Half. Just Look Before You Post Next Time, And Try Looking Through Some Of The Reviews Already Posted, There Are Plenty Of People Who Can Give You A Good Discussion About Why It's Good.
Whoooaaaa, lay off the shift key there, son.
Old June 28th 2005, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman's dog
Whoooaaaa, lay off the shift key there, son.
hahaha, sometimes i'm just in the mood to type Like This. I Just Do Sometimes.

-Dave Eric Grohl

Old June 28th 2005, 04:11 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

In the mood? To hold down shift at the beginning of every single word you type? Do you sometimes find yourself in the mood to punch yourself in the nuts? Sometimes you should resist these moods.
Old June 28th 2005, 04:16 AM

this is just another one of those guys trying to stir up controversy over something very popular...
Old June 28th 2005, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Proboto
Well, not only did they make sun of the pop song formula...for the most part they followed it to a T on their other songs. And so have the Foo Fighters for much of their career, not just this album. In fact, a lot of what you said could be applied to any Foo Fighters album from the past.
Eggzactly. They didn't write VCV to make fun of the formula. Kurt wrote it to summarize the way most songs were written. Not to mention, most any song that doesn't follow that formula will ususally suck.

Speaking of Kurt, this topic reminds me of when In Utero came out. I remember how much I loved Nevermind, so I bought Incesticide and Bleach. And then I bought In Utero on day 1. I HATED it! It sucked. Kurt was just screaming for the sake of screaming, and the songs had no direction ... just seemed like they were trying to be loud. I actually rarely listened to it. Then I saw them live and songs like Pennyroyal Tea and Milk It, and especially Radio Friendly ... I couldn't believe how great they sounded. Next think I knew, I was listening to In Utero over and over and it quickly became my fav Nirvana album (and still is to this day). I think every song on it is simply amazing, and especially think Dave's drumming is just fantastic. In Utero is the album where I decided Nirvana is my all time favorite band, and knew no band could ever replace them. Not long after is when Kurt killed himself. No more unbelievable music from Nirvana.

Or so I thought. I heard the self polution radio show and Eddie played some tracks by Dave. I recorded them and thought, wow these are pretty fucking good. I'll have to buy his album when it's released. Not long after S/T I quickly became a FF fan. And as much as I love S/T, and TCATS, and TNLTL, and 1x1, I still knew no band could ever take over as #1 in my heart as it belonged to Nirvana. Now that IYH has come out, I am finally ready to give in, and because it is so amazing, I think FF have now officially become my favorite band of all time! Yes, I now like them better than the stones, beatles, zeppelin, soundgarden, guns&roses, neil young, alice in chains, pearl jam, and unbelievably, even now better than nirvana, as blasphemous as that seems. I never thought I would ever say that about another band for the rest of my life. My point is that those that put this down, much like I did with In Utero, have simply not really listened to it enough, in my opinion. I mean, shit like End Over End, Free Me, Deepest Blues ... they fucking blow me away!!!

Last edited by wicked_gravity : June 28th 2005 at 04:22 AM.
Old June 28th 2005, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_gravity
Eggzactly. They didn't write VCV to make fun of the formula. Kurt wrote it to summarize the way most songs were written. Not to mention, most any song that doesn't follow that formula will ususally suck.

Speaking of Kurt, this topic reminds me of when In Utero came out. I remember how much I loved Nevermind, so I bought Incesticide and Bleach. And then I bought In Utero on day 1. I HATED it! It sucked. Kurt was just screaming for the sake of screaming, and the songs had no direction ... just seemed like they were trying to be loud. I actually rarely listened to it. Then I saw them live and songs like Pennyroyal Tea and Milk It, and especially Radio Friendly ... I couldn't believe how great they sounded. Next think I knew, I was listening to In Utero over and over and it quickly became my fav Nirvana album (and still is to this day). I think every song on it is simply amazing, and especially think Dave's drumming is just fantastic. In Utero is the album where I decided Nirvana is my all time favorite band, and knew no band could ever replace them. Not long after is when Kurt killed himself. No more unbelievable music from Nirvana.

Or so I thought. I heard the self polution radio show and Eddie played some tracks by Dave. I recorded them and thought, wow these are pretty fucking good. I'll have to buy his album when it's released. Not long after S/T I quickly became a FF fan. And as much as I love S/T, and TCATS, and TNLTL, and 1x1, I still knew no band could ever take over as #1 in my heart as it belonged to Nirvana. Now that IYH has come out, I am finally ready to give in, and because it is so amazing, I think FF have now officially become my favorite band of all time! Yes, I now like them better than the stones, beatles, zeppelin, soundgarden, guns&roses, neil young, alice in chains, pearl jam, and unbelievably, even now better than nirvana, as blasphemous as that seems. I never thought I would ever say that about another band for the rest of my life. My point is that those that put this down, much like I did with In Utero, have simply not really listened to it enough, in my opinion.
The Rest Of You Should Have This Enthusiasm.

-Dave Eric Grohl

Old June 28th 2005, 04:26 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I stopped reading the first post in this thread when I saw the word 'Nirvana'.
Old June 28th 2005, 04:46 AM
I'll Stick Around

Granted everyone have their opinions but sometimes the poorly backed ones are just funny to read. I think you just need more time for it to grow on you. After about 5-10 listens I realised how much this album rocked. The Foo Fighters have definately pushed their way to be one of my favorite bands. It'll be tough for them to surpass Pearl Jam but if they make more rockin' records I can see it happening. Then again, PJ have been around since 1990 about and are still going strong. In Your Honor is a classic though, and I think at the end of this decade it'll be viewed as one of the best albums of the decade.
2. The Color And The Shape
3. One By One
4. There Is Nothing Left To Lose
5. Foo Fighters

Foo Fighters Song Rankings
---
1. No Way Back
2. Times Like These
3. Free Me
4. Everlong
5. Learn To Fly
Old June 28th 2005, 05:35 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I'm amazed by these comments, can some people tell me there favorite songs and why? And in my post. I said that I've listened to this for a long time...for like 2 weeks. Just because there is similar formulas in songs, does not mean that the quality is the same. There are many different facets to song writing then what you guys are defending this album with. By the way, I'm not just another guy creating controversy. Just venting.

By the way, viewed as one of the best album of the decade? Seriously, no.
Old June 28th 2005, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Proboto
Well, not only did they make fun of the pop song formula...for the most part they followed it to a T on their other songs. And so have the Foo Fighters for much of their career, not just this album. In fact, a lot of what you said could be applied to any Foo Fighters album from the past.
I was just going to say the same thing.

Nirvana did the whole 'Verse Chorus Verse' thing. A lot of great bands do. That has nothing to do with anything.
Old June 28th 2005, 07:17 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Well, I mentioned the verse chorus verse thing because in some of these songs, honestly, there are just two chord progressions. For instance, although I like Razor's riff, there are only 2, with the exception of the ending which, I feel, doesn't seem to fit the song. Just a sped up chord progression. No production. It felt like some of those songs were being developed and just rushed. I just want someone to give me some reasons why this is a good album besides, "This album rocks". I know this argument will never come to a stable conclusion, but I just want to hear why people like it. What floats your boat specifically about this album. I'm very interested to hear it.
Old June 28th 2005, 07:20 AM

Look, some people just like the way the album sounds. Sometimes you can't explain that. I don't know how to explain my love for this album. I think it's far better than TINLTL and I love that album. It's heavier.. and if you ask me, there were some weak tracks on TINLTL [Next Year..? I mean, that's a fucking pop song. I love it, don't get me wrong.. but it's definitely not the Foos at their best]. but I don't think any of the songs on IYH are weak.

Ehh it's 3:22 AM. i'll try to explain better in the morning.
Old June 28th 2005, 07:20 AM
The Boss

I don't want to be rude and all...but there are a million of these.

Yawn...sorry dude. It's off to Frequent Post Archive and future "stern looks" will be closed and directed there.

I would take a stern look at Taylor too.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond