Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Foo Side Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 22nd 2011, 05:10 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Taylor Hawkins helps compiling Queen album

Queen release the album ‘Deep Cuts Volume One 1973-1976’ on March 14th 2011, a bespoke collection of hidden gems from the band’s first five albums, specially chosen by Roger Taylor and Brian May in consultation with life-long fan, Taylor Hawkins from the Foo Fighters.

Full press release here.

Milton Keynes II 2011 | Pukkelpop 2011 | Rock en Seine 2011 | Villa Manin 2012 | Pukkelpop 2012 | Reading 2012 | The Forum 2013 (SCP) | Wembley Stadium II
Milton Keynes I 2015 | Köhln 2015 | Rock Werchter 2017 | AccorHotels Arena Paris 2017 | NOS Alive 2017 | Sportpaleis Antwerp 2018 | Olympic Stadium II 2018
Old February 22nd 2011, 05:18 PM
The Sidekick

Default Re: Taylor Hawkins helps compiling Queen album

Some great songs on there. Most people only really know the 'hits' of Queen, but the albums had some great songs on them as well.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old February 22nd 2011, 05:21 PM

I only know the hits and I'm ashamed, really.

Milton Keynes II 2011 | Pukkelpop 2011 | Rock en Seine 2011 | Villa Manin 2012 | Pukkelpop 2012 | Reading 2012 | The Forum 2013 (SCP) | Wembley Stadium II
Milton Keynes I 2015 | Köhln 2015 | Rock Werchter 2017 | AccorHotels Arena Paris 2017 | NOS Alive 2017 | Sportpaleis Antwerp 2018 | Olympic Stadium II 2018
Old February 22nd 2011, 05:27 PM
The Sidekick

I really advise you to check the albums out. All of them. There are some duds on them, which albums doesn't, but lots of corking songs as well.

I advise you to start with A Night At The Opera, Sheer Heart Attack, The Game and A Kind Of Magic. You know what, whichever you buy you can't go wrong. The first five albums are being reissued in March, buy them all.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old February 22nd 2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
I really advise you to check the albums out. All of them. There are some duds on them, which albums doesn't, but lots of corking songs as well.

I advise you to start with A Night At The Opera, Sheer Heart Attack, The Game and A Kind Of Magic. You know what, whichever you buy you can't go wrong. The first five albums are being reissued in March, buy them all.
Dont forget Jazz which actually is one of my fav Queen records. Has some good tunes on it

Oh and News of the World is a great record aswell!
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215

Old February 22nd 2011, 05:39 PM
A star burned out

yeah, I know mostly hits as well, but not particularly ashamed since it's better than not knowing anything, it's one hell of a band. also, there's so many hits that's kinda like you're pretty well aware of their awesome talent.

I know it's not exactly like that, will look for the earlier stuff as well....
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old February 22nd 2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice! Queen is one of those bands that's on my 'to be discovered' list, but somehow I've never taken the time to sit down and listen to their albums...

Old February 22nd 2011, 06:12 PM
maybe flying machines

Sounds great! Check out the Queen DVD "Queen on Fire – Live at the Bowl" great Queen performance and great warm-up for this summer's event!

-------------------------------------
2002-12-03 Hovet.se
2005-07-02 Roskilde.dk
2006-02-04 Hovet.se
2006-06-17 Hyde Park.uk
2008-06-06 Wembley.uk
2008-06-07 Wembley.uk
2008-06-14 Stora Skuggan.se
(TCV 2009-12-17 Hammersmith.uk)
TBA 2011-06-22 Stockholms Stadion.se
TBA 2011-07-03 MK Bowl.uk
TBA 2011-07-02 MK Bowl.uk
Old February 22nd 2011, 06:38 PM
The Sidekick

Yup, great performance there. Nobody else has ever or will ever have the whole bowl in the palm of their hand like Freddie could.

--
Old February 22nd 2011, 06:42 PM
Polite as fuck

Oh hell yes!

Queen's first two records are especially ripping!! Great shit. Look forward to this muchly...

Last edited by Tarquin : February 22nd 2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: time to queue up Queen II right now!
Old February 22nd 2011, 06:43 PM
I'll Stick Around

ooooo... huge Queen fan from way back! These are truly deep cuts and I love them all! Didn't buy their greatest hits cause generally those songs are overplayed on radio. Definately will get this one!
Old February 22nd 2011, 11:23 PM
I'll Stick Around

I grew up listening to Queen and met Brian May in 1998........my 2 fave albums....."A Night At The Opera" and "A Day At The Races"....Amazing!
Old February 23rd 2011, 10:56 AM
I'll Stick Around

I was was so excited when i read that, then realised its a 'best of' of their early stuff, for a minute i thought we were going to get unreleased or alternative versions.

Can't beleive there is no place for liar great song, best one on the album for me, or brighton rock!!

definatley worth a buy though if you don't know their early stuff, if you haven't heard these songs its like only having 1x1 and espg.
Old February 23rd 2011, 11:46 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

I'm going to have to pick that up, that's a good mix. 39 is one of my all time favourites. The only one I probably don't like as much is Tenement Funster, but it's still ok.

Quote:
Yep, get them all Sheer Heart Attack is probably my favourite of the early ones (Brighton Rock is a fantastic song), but News of the World isn't mentioned nearly enough generally, it's all good.

And someone mentioned Jazz - that's a cracking album too. I think my parents probably got fed up of me playing Mustapha really loud all the time when I was younger.

Old February 23rd 2011, 11:53 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
I'm going to have to pick that up, that's a good mix. 39 is one of my all time favourites. The only one I probably don't like as much is Tenement Funster, but it's still ok.

Yep, get them all Sheer Heart Attack is probably my favourite of the early ones (Brighton Rock is a fantastic song), but News of the World isn't mentioned nearly enough generally, it's all good.

And someone mentioned Jazz - that's a cracking album too. I think my parents probably got fed up of me playing Mustapha really loud all the time when I was younger.
I would imagine tenement funster is on there because it runs into the other two songs, plus its a roger song, i would imagine taylor pushed for that one aswell.

I agree NOTW is a good album but it suffers beacuse of we will rock you and we are the champions, songs like it's late get no credit
Old February 23rd 2011, 11:55 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusChristAlmighty View Post
I would imagine tenement funster is on there because it runs into the other two songs, plus its a roger song, i would imagine taylor pushed for that one aswell.

I agree NOTW is a good album but it suffers beacuse of we will rock you and we are the champions, songs like it's late get no credit
Yeah, I tend to skip those two, even though I know I should listen to them in the context of the album. And It's Late is probably the best song on there.

Looking back at the tracklisting, if I was there, I'd probably have argued for Sweet Lady to go on there.

Old February 23rd 2011, 12:57 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
Yeah, I tend to skip those two, even though I know I should listen to them in the context of the album. And It's Late is probably the best song on there.

Looking back at the tracklisting, if I was there, I'd probably have argued for Sweet Lady to go on there.
Yeah, i always loved sweet lady, death on two legs and for me the best on the album, prophets song. thats what i love about early queen, brian and freddie's ability to test each other. Always favoured brian's songs though myself, (with mercury singing). Problem is they're all amazing songs there isn't much filler on any album. Someone will always be unhappy with the songs they picked because they have so many that could feature.
Old February 23rd 2011, 05:27 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Awesome! Any uk people going to the Stormtroopers in Stilettos exhibition?
Old February 23rd 2011, 05:37 PM
Visiting is pretty...

it was also fantastic at the foos hyde park i thought to

a) see brian may and roger taylor live (having not seen them live before personally sadly i was only 9 when freddie died) and b) hearing taylor do an awesome version of tie your mother down it give me chills

FooFan since 1997

My Foo-clection

2018 edit h boy this is way out of date, when I have time i’ll fix this

Self titled
TCATS, TCATS 10th Anni ed, TINLTL,OBO (with dvd, OBO Spec ED tour ed?),IYH(with DVD),ESPAG,S.A.B
EWBH DVD, Hyde Park/skin bones dvd, Wembley Dvd

as well as a few boots, b-sides and unnofical items
Old February 23rd 2011, 10:59 PM

This is such awesome news!