Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 8th 2011, 02:14 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Same setlist every night

I was watching lolla last night and I was wondering why they play the same exact setlist every night. I know they HAVE to play the hits like everlong or monkeywrench, but they have so many good songs that they should randomize, like other bands (Pearl Jam for example) do.
Old August 8th 2011, 02:15 PM
Been here since before you were born

Default Re: Same setlist every night

lol. Shouldn't this be in Frequent Posts?
|04/03/96 Concert Hall|07/07/97 Warehouse|10/11/97 Arrow Hall|07/01/98 Molson Park|08/11/00 Molson Park|10/28/02 Much Music|10/29/02 Opera House|07/07/03 Arrow Hall|07/19/03 Sarnia Bayfest|06/16/05 Edge Studio|06/16/05 Lee's Palace|08/13/05 Molson Amph|08/23/06 Hummingbird Centre|11/07/06 ACC|03/20/08 John Labatt Centre|03/22/08 ACC|04/14/11 Nick Dude's Garage|08/09/11 ACC|09/25/11 HSBC Arena|07/08-9/15 Molson Amph|07/12/18 SkyDome|
Old August 8th 2011, 03:15 PM
Da doo doo doo, da dah dah dah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyroo View Post
lol. Shouldn't this be in Frequent Posts?
Exactly....
Old August 8th 2011, 05:05 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoRevolution View Post
I was watching lolla last night and I was wondering why they play the same exact setlist every night. I know they HAVE to play the hits like everlong or monkeywrench, but they have so many good songs that they should randomize, like other bands (Pearl Jam for example) do.
Same thoughts.
Old August 8th 2011, 06:55 PM
my tits are also out for Simon

Dude take it from someone who has been annoyed by this and complained about it forever. It's never going to change so just accept it and consider yourself very lucky if you can get into a club show or one of the rare times where they actually mix it up at an arena or stadium gig.
Old August 8th 2011, 07:08 PM
Visiting is pretty...

While I also agree that some more variation would have been nice, I really understand why they dont change more. The simple answer is, most people will only get to go to one show each tour, some even less, some more. So, they make a "optimal" setlist covering all albums, including new songs, all the big hits, a couple of covers, and some slightly more fan-tuned songs. They make a "optimal setlist" for a big audiance that mostly knows the big hits (despite us loving the full albums a lot of people think of them as a hit-machine more than anything)

So again, they make the best setlist possible. Yes, it sucks for the superfan who catches x shows and watches everything online. But for the guy who only gets one show, getting the package they have now is pretty much optimal.

I'm know I'm not the first to arrive at this conclusion but it should still be said. It wouldn't hurt though of they say mixed up 3-4 of the songs with some rarities, especially the covers they play now. Oh and we need Aurora more often

Last edited by Songo : August 8th 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old August 8th 2011, 07:43 PM
The Boss

I'm sick and tired of the Pearl Jam comparison........To be blunt, it's a lot easier to mix it up when you've had like 1 radio hit in the last decade. This band averages 2-3 per record

And this is more about what works best in the band's (or, more succinctly, Dave's) opinion.

Could they mix it up more and have it still be a very good show? Sure. I bet a lot of them could easily be great. The band is that good. But it's not like their approach sucks or anything. For last night, a shortened festival setlist, it was basically their 2nd show in a month's time, people are gonna complain about the setlist?

Like that's your reaction to watching it? Cause mine was way more of a "Holy shit, they are fucking ON right now".

Look, I get it. I'd probably be happier if a few songs were cut out completely, or at least swapped out from the "every single night" status (*cough*, Cold Day in the Sun, Skin and Bones, and Learn to Fly) and I get that if you're fortunate enough to see more than 1 show, you'd rather it not feel like the same show 4 times over or whatever, but I'm not sure why this comes up after a festival where they only play 3/4 of a regular set that also happens to be one of their best shows I've ever fuckin watched.
Old August 8th 2011, 07:56 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Like that's your reaction to watching it? Cause mine was way more of a "Holy shit, they are fucking ON right now".
this. fuck yes.
Old August 8th 2011, 08:38 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I love Pearl Jam, but the Foos arnt Pearl Jam, they do things differently. I've seen Pearl Jam once & because they change their setlists I didnt get to see some of my fave songs like Alive & Jeremy. I'd rather see those than songs I dont know.

I was lucky enough to go to the Auckland Town Hall Benefit gig and they played Aurora, HJP and other cool stuff. But honestly, I'm a massive fan and we only get them very rarely in NZ, I'd be pissed off if I saw them and they didnt play any of the hits! Just cause some of you are lucky enough to go to 5 shows in a year doesnt mean we all are!
Old August 9th 2011, 12:06 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

the setlist will change slightly every tour they do to include there new songs right!! so if you see them more then once on a tour you will get the same songs, wouldnt bother me!!

erm.....maybe drop learn to fly on occasions
Old August 9th 2011, 12:21 AM
aka Michael

The bigger the show, the bigger the logistics behind the scenes, and thus the harder it is to change up the setlist / guitars / lighting / video every night.
Plus, when you have 6 albums with 3+ hits on each album, thats 18+ songs right there. With a group of 40,000 people, i doubt 99% of them want to hear "down in the park"and "A320" over "everlong" and "Best of you".
Old August 9th 2011, 12:26 AM
Never knowing who to believe

I'll forgive them Learn to Fly. It was a HUGE hit. Cold Day in the Sun, Skin and Bones, and Young Man's Blues every set? Eh. Not so much.

Please drop them.

Still, happy to see them each and every time.
Old August 9th 2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellis View Post
The bigger the show, the bigger the logistics behind the scenes, and thus the harder it is to change up the setlist / guitars / lighting / video every night.
Plus, when you have 6 albums with 3+ hits on each album, thats 18+ songs right there. With a group of 40,000 people, i doubt 99% of them want to hear "down in the park"and "A320" over "everlong" and "Best of you".
Read my post below.
Old August 9th 2011, 12:56 AM
The Cookie Is A Lie

If you don't like the Pearl Jam comparison, how about the Metallica comparison? Around 10-12 songs the same each night (the "hits" - One, Master of Puppets, Enter Sandman etc) and around another 10-12 changed up each evening and played at 2/3 shows per leg of the tour.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a major go at the Foos, but they could alter the setlist somewhat and not lose the "casual" fanbase if they wanted to, in my opinion. But each to their own. Maiden do the same as the Foos - same set each night.
Old August 9th 2011, 02:05 AM
The Boss

I think it's a misconception that the setlist is purely designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator or whatever.

It's way more about what flows the best and gonna be the best show. In fact, that's pretty much it right there.
Old August 9th 2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
I think it's a misconception that the setlist is purely designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator or whatever.

It's way more about what flows the best and gonna be the best show. In fact, that's pretty much it right there.
I'll still contend, along with others, YMB, Cold Day in the Sun, Skin and Bones, among others, could be dropped and the quality would improve.
Old August 9th 2011, 02:42 AM

Festivals are a really, really shitty way to see a band that you like. It's usually a shorter set so you never get the interesting more rare stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostrocker815 View Post
I love Pearl Jam, but the Foos arnt Pearl Jam, they do things differently. I've seen Pearl Jam once & because they change their setlists I didnt get to see some of my fave songs like Alive & Jeremy. I'd rather see those than songs I dont know.
It's tough. I come down on both sides of this. Should the band play for casual or hard core fans? It's tough to please both. I've definitely been to casual shows by bands where I was disappointed not to get more hits, but when I'm a big fan of the band I need some nice surprises to keep me interested.

The thing about Foo Fighters is I thought they didn't have it in them to do an interesting set anymore, but that facebook concert was great. I know that is more difficult to translate to an arena but Jesus they are way more talented than I've seen evidence of in the last few tours.
Old August 9th 2011, 03:49 AM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
I'll still contend, along with others, YMB, Cold Day in the Sun, Skin and Bones, among others, could be dropped and the quality would improve.
Maybe so, and those aren't even really my favorites (though I've never actually seen Young Man Blues in person, so it's still got a little novelty factor to it for me)....

I just think it's weird that the misconception that the setlist which includes extended versions of a non-hit from 12 years ago, a non-album track that was a minor, minor radio hit, and a 2nd tier single sung by the drummer are simply thrown in to appeal to the people who only have a greatest hits record or a few songs off frostwire or whatever

I'll admit, I'm probably shielded from this because for most tours, I just haven't really bothered to catch multiple nights on the same leg. I think I saw 3 shows in 4 days in 2003 and every time since it was a one and done deal other than the club shows.

But, at the same time, it's not like the shows suck because of those songs that maybe some people aren't as keen on.

I've never once directly talked to Dave about setlists (mostly cause I don't really want to hear the words "fuck off"), but I don't think it's that hard to figure out how they're put together. It just follows 3 simple questions

1) What works best?
2) What do we like to play?
3) What needs to be played?

And every so often (2nd night in a back to back, for instance), they'll throw in a few wrinkles to mix it up beyond that.

I get how, if you see it a bunch of nights, that gets really lame, but it works pretty well. I mean, when's the last bad Foo Fighters show you remember seeing?

It's not like it's without precedent. Plenty of big bands do it the same way and there are also examples of bands like the Ramones, Nirvana, etc that kinda just did the same show every night

As long as they don't wave the white flag and do one of those nostalgia tours, I'm sticking with a "Dave knows best" view on this one
Old August 9th 2011, 04:00 AM
Polite as fuck

You have a point about the fact that multi-show attenders make up a very small percentage of the people at a show... It varies from band to band, but the great majority are the people in the town that any band rolls into on a given evening. More than anything else, I would think it would make it less monotonous for the band that is playing the show... If you change it up for yourselves, it keeps you on your toes and makes it more interesting as a player. Even though there is a great deal that goes into screens, lighting, etc. it is not a Broadway play with a script or Shakespeare that needs to be performed to the letter; it is a rock show that can lend itself to different songs or wrinkles every single night.

PJ has been mentioned in the changeup regard, and Dave Matthews changes up the set every single night... The two Wrigley shows here last year on consecutive nights did not repeat one single song! The fans were crazy for it, and the majority being huge fans didn't even think twice about what songs were included or omitted... They were totally mental about what was played that paticular evening! Hell, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones never play the same set twice and their shit is complex as hell to play...

I always wish that touring bands that I see keep their core set that fans want to hear and have an 'A' list and 'B' list of 8-10 songs that they will interchange night to night... It keeps it fresh for the players, and gives a good switchup for the fans each night.
Old August 9th 2011, 05:02 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I see the points being made on both sides. My 2 - any way to get songs like Aurora, New Way Home, etc. into the setlist is the side I'm on.

I guess the way I'd prefer is if they kept a constant 15-16 songs but changed up 3-4 with a few rarities like the two I mentioned.